Question
Posted by: Pam | 2011/02/10

Abdominal pains - right side and back and naval area - Still Desperate

Still Desperate !

Dear Dr Bets

Thank you for replying to my first email on 8/9/10.
4 months ago I wrote you about my condition. After several tests,scopes, sonars, x-rays, ct scans (even a brain scan), etc, I am no closer to a solution than when I started, and the doctors/specialists can find nothing clinically wrong with me. I just cannot understand what is causing me such pain and a bad odour which is getting worse.

My last visit to the GP who sent off a urine sample to the lab, produced the following report: Ordered: Urine MCS, random specimen. Macroscopy appearance turbid, microscopy Pus cells (< 5/ul) result > 100Red blood cells (< 5/ul) result 1 –  5, Epithelial cells result –  Numerous squamous epithelial, Casts absent, Yeast Cells absent. Chemistry (dipstick) Glucose, Bilirubin &  Ketones –  absent. S.G. < =1,995. Blood –  Trace, pH –  6.0, Protein absent, Urobilinogen –  not increased, nitrite Absent, Leucocyte esterase +++. Aerobic Culture –  Presumptive Escherichia coli –  Colony count –  10 000 –  100 000 org/ml. Eterococcus species –  Colony count –  greater than 100 000 org/ml. I hope this makes sense to you !

I was prescribed Augmentin SR which has not made any difference and that was about 2 weeks ago ! The GP thinks I might have another infection which is showing up in my urine, because I don’ t have the typical bladder infection symptoms, like burning, full bladder, incontinence, etc. Although I do have the occasional shooting pain in my bladder but it does not last for long or cause me major discomfort, but the odour is very disconcerting !

Hallo Pam
According to your urine test you definitely do have a urine tract infection. For an unpleasant vaginal smell, try using Betadine vaginal douche twice a day vaginally for a week, but please also drink probiotics three times a day while using the douche and the antibiotics. (Betadine contains Iodene so don't use if you are allergic to Iodene) If they can find no cause for the pain with the examinations already done, the next step may be to do a laproscopy to check for endometriosis. I know you feel discouraged but often we need to find the cause of a persistant pain by going through all the possible causes - it is like building a puzzle and sometimes you need quite a few pieces before you begin to see the picture. If you get more than 3 urine tract infections (with leucocytes in the urine and cultured bacteria) per year, you need to see an urologist as you need a scope (cystoscopy) under anaesthetic to see if there is a problem in the urine tract itself. Keep me posted. Hope the Betadine works for the smell.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/02/10

Hallo Pam