Question
Posted by: Kimbles | 2008/10/20

Abdominal pain &  discomfort

I have had six ops in the last 24 years on my abdominal region. Two caesars, 1 burst appendix, 1 to fix up septicaemia, and two incisional hernias to repair the damage left by previous ops. At the moment all over my abdomen in various spotsl it is quite tender and sore and I am very very tired and feeling lousy, i.e. like possibly colon problems –  question is this an offshoot of previous problems or what? What can I do about it? besides see the doctor. Thanks
Kim

Hi Kim
You could have developed an irritable bowel due to all the surgery. With your history ( and I know this is the last thing you want to do) one should exclude an acute abdomen, so a quick exam by your GP to ensure that there aren't any acute problems is necessary. He needs to look at your bowel patterns, and see if you have any signs of gastritis ( stomach lining inflammation - could be due to lot of paintablets) or peptic ulcer. He may need to check your blood for anemia or iron deficiency (you probably lost a lot of blood in the process). I would also check your blood sugar and do an urine test to exclude Urine tract infection. If all the tests are negative and the colon is tender, with either constipation or diarrhoea or a combination of both, bloating and cramping, an irritable bowel could be the culprit. He will then have to give you medication for the cause of the abdominal discomfort. I really hope that it is not anything acute and that the cause is easily found and treated!

2
Posted by: Jules | 2009/03/25

I have a feeling like I have a tablet stuck in my throat, it eventually leads down to a feeling like my chest is tightening [like asthma I would imagine] and I have to keep coughing to release that tightness, and finally under the rib a throbbing ache. If I push the outside of my throat [between the two colar bones in the upper chest] it feels like theres something stuck there - pushing harder and I feel like I want to hurl!! I have a history of hernias and stomack ulcers linked to stress, but its the throat and chest feeling that I am not accustomed to. I am currently under incredible personal stress and take the medication given by the doctor [sorry dont know name of tablets], the tablets which help the pain. He said its all linked as the intestines on the left of my body are also very tender when he pokes and prods around. I use my V-trainer every morning fro 15 minutes and gym 4 days a week - can any of this be aggrevating my symptons.

Reply to Jules
Posted by: cory | 2009/03/17

if Im looking in the mirror it' s on the left side above the hip and it is sharp pains at times and stomach ache for about three days so far. I' ve had a loss of appitite. My stomache makes kind of a gurgelling noice sometimes. I have had diarriahe for the past three days as well.

Reply to cory