Posted by: BMJ | 2011-08-18

Abdominal pain

Dear Doc

My 8 year old son woke up before 5am this morning crying that he has severe tummy pain. He has an unusually high pain threshold so when he complains, it is very sore. I asked him to show me where the pain is and he said by his belly button. He has no vomitting or runny stools. He had a normal stool yesterday.

Apartf rom the pain he his very pale (he normally has an olive complextion) and has that droopy eye look. He is also sleepy and lost his appetite. He did not feel feverish, but I did not take it with a themometer.

His older brother had an appendectomy at 9 (confirmed by lab as acute appendicitis). My older son also had a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) when given antispasmodics, so I am relucted to give that to my younger son.
I did give him 10ml of panado. It has eased but not completely removed the pain.

Do you think it is a stomach bug or appendicitis.

You have to consult your doctor for blood tests as soon as possible, to determine if your son has an acute appendicitis.