Question
Posted by: Molly | 2008/08/27

abdominal pain

I have been training for 4 months, cycling,running etc. indoors at the gym. For the past 2 weeks I have experienced abdominal pain on the right side approximately where the appendix is situated only when I start the running, I run on the treadmill for 20 min at a speed of 8.5-9.0 but lately after the first 4 minutes I have to slow down to a walking speed and then slowly go back to a speed of not more than 8.0. I cycle to warm up and then do the running, I don' t experience the pain with any of the other. I don' t know what to do, please help!!

Hi Molly

I think the safest thing to do is to see a doctor about it, because you never know, it might well be appendix related. So there's no need to take a chance with it - rather have it checked out. There are other options, and it's likely nothing major, it could be a pulled muscle for all you know, and just requires rest. I'm not sure exactly where the pain is or what brings it about.

It could also be a side stitch, though I'm at a loss to explain why it has begun in the last while and not before. Is there anything tha tyou have changed in the last few days that might account for it?

But first things first, get a doctor's opinion and have them figure out what the cause is, and then go about working out the solution.