Question
Posted by: Lulu | 2011/10/19

Abdominal Muscle

I went to the gym this morning and did cardio, followed by abdominal exercises. I felt this pulling pain on the right side of my abdomen. At first I thought that it''s a cramp but short after it almost felt like something tore. It''s really painful when I walk, laugh and cough. It feels like it''s burning too.

Should I seek professional help?

How long should I rest before doing abdominal exercises again?

Thanking you in advance.

Hi Lulu

OK, that could be a slight abdominal strain. Not too uncommon - tennis players often get them from rotation. Perhaps you just tweaked it in training. Maybe an intercostal, based on the fact that it hurts to cough and laugh (when you forcefully exhale, the external intercostals have to contract - these are muscles around the ribs)

I think give it another week (from reading this) and then see about seeing someone. usually you're looking at 2 weeks for a muscle strain, and the abdominals can be stubborn. I think by the time you read this, the pain should be much better, and one more week you're back to normal. However, don't get back into the kind of intensive work that could cause that injury to occur again. Rather take a week of very easy work, and then go for it!

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/10/30

Hi Lulu

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc