Question
Posted by: Mishka | 2008/08/04

Abdominal cramps when exercising

am 34 years old, no children. I went off the pill in Nov 2005 and shortly after that started spotting between periods (I had always had normal regular periods before that). This continued for about 6 months until my cycles normalised. Around that time was the first time I started to experience this - when I run, after about 15/20 minutes I start to develop severe cramps (like bad period pains) in my lower abdomen. The pain becomes so severe that I have to stop execising and rest for about 20 mins until the cramps subside. Often I simultaneously have the urge for my bowels to work. These cramps occur about once out of every four times I run, and have occurred once or twice during other forms of exercise (one during a strenuous hike and once during normal fast walking). Over the last 2 years I have been to 2 GP'  s, a gynie, and a gastroenterologist, and none of them can tell me what is causing this. However I am not happy as I definately do not think this is normal. In the last 4 months my periods have again become irregular with spotting in between.
Could this possibly be endometriosis or some other gynaecological condition?

I don't think that this is a gynae problem. It occurs with exercise and therefore is likely to be muscular. Endometriosis causes heavy periods, pain with menses and sometimes infertility. Irregular periods may be due to a problem with the cervix or a polyp in the uterus.