Question
Posted by: donovan | 2010/05/21

abcess

My horse has an abcess between his front legs, it has already burst and drained and is bleeding a bit, clean blood, no pus. The wound is open and clean though. He is a bit swollen around the area. I made a dettol solution (all i had in the house) and have cleaned the area. I have not put a dressing on. any other advise?

Hi Donovan

What you have done is correct. I would use salty water instead of the dettol and flush 2-3 x daily. You will also need to get some fly repellent and put this at the margins of the wound and some purple oxytetracycline spray to prevent any bacterial infection. You should be able to get the spray from your local vet.

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/05/22

Hi Donovan

Reply to CyberVet