Question
Posted by: trinity | 2008/10/08

abandonment issues

Hi is there anyone that can talk to me or offer some advice? I' m bi polar and borderline personality disorder but i' m paranoid of being abandoned i go ballistic and have ended up in hospital already, i' m in agony and i feel so alone. i' m not sure if its all in my head or if its real anymore. is there medication for this? its destroying my life. My parents left me with my grandmother at the age of 14 and then i was at bording school so had to get set off packing often i had to travel home on a open van late at night with who ever was going that way, did this trigger it or is there something wrong with me? please anyone talk to me

Its typical of someone with a true bordeline personality disorder, that they VERY readily feel abandoned. even when this is not the other person's intentions at all, and they tend to react badly, often self-damagingly, when they feel that way. And the way they respond to these feelings tends to drive away from them the very people whose attention they want. And the sort of distressing earlier experiences you mention would certainly not have helped at all.
Medications are usually not the most useful approach, but skilled psychotherapy can help. See a good local shrink for a thorough assessment, and then a discussion of treatment options.

1
Posted by: Spokie | 2008/10/08

Don' t feel alone. I' m 21 now and I have had abandonment issues since grade 7 i went into depresion and developed epilepsy coz of it. I have a bf and I can sometimes be very unfair towards him so i know what you mean with its ruining your life. he even told me a few times i need to go see a shrink

Reply to Spokie