I picked up the cutest little stray male cat six months ago. He' s delightful  he follows me around like a dog and is always busy on ' cat business' . He' s also hellishly naughty - but - I digress.

It' s his tail - it turns upward and lies absolutely flat along the length of his back. The underside is white so he looks like a skunk. The tail isn' t broken, damaged or deformed. It' s perfect. He' s able to use it like normal cats do but he seems to choose not to.

I' ve never seen anything like it, nor, from the chuckles, has anyone else. The way he carries his tail looks cute as a kitten but he' s going to look pretty ridiculous as an adult. If he confronts another male he' ll win purely because his opponent will die laughing.

Has anyone else come across something as strange as this?

Dear Anon

I have not seen one.

Yes, as soon as I can get my boy to sit still for long enough, I' d love to send you pics of his tail. You won' t believe what you' re seeing.

I see your little girl also does her own thing with her tail. I wonder if they do it on purpose just to attract attention?

Posted by: Traxy | 2009-08-17

I love the way you describe the... ummm..." problem" .

I can just picture it!

If you want you can send a picture to me on traxy dot berg at gmail dot com. I need a good chuckle! :D

My rescue also has a funny tail. She holds it straight up like normal, but the tail seems " broken"  about halfway up. So the " broken"  half hangs limply down. She can also use it as normal, but its almost as if its too much effort to hold the entire tail up. According to the vet her tail is fine, but just unusually supple. Its almost like a piece of boneless skin.

Funny cats!

Reply to Traxy
Posted by: Carol | 2009-08-16

Thats odd :) and I certainly havent seen this before . But then he is a cat ..oddities are allowed :)

Reply to Carol