Question
Posted by: Sean | 2010/01/19

A shocking state of underweight

I’ m approaching my 20’ s and have realised that I am underweight. I am about 1.75m and weight about 55kgs. If I go on like this, I feel like I will be hitting a serious medical condition soon.. I eat normally, don’ t skip any meal as such, however I can never seem to put on weight. I have tried USN weight gain for two months religiously, but that failed dismally. We are bombarded by adverts and solutions to weight loss, but I have found nothing that works for weight gain. I would appreciate and help in this regard.

Dear Sean
With a present BMI of 18 your weight is indeed far too low. You should weigh approx. 67 kg, thus a gain of 12 kg! If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.

2
Posted by: Sean | 2010/01/19

Thank you so much for your support! I really do appreciate it! Are there any possible meal supplements that you recommend? I have used Ensure and USN in the past, however they don’ t seem to work. I think I may have to check myself up to see if I have a thyroid problem.

Reply to Sean

Dear Sean