Question
Posted by: Annie | 2010/09/29

a question about a child

Hi there, I was wanting to ask if you could explain to me something, my nephew who is 6 and a half and is extremely clever in most things since little he is always thinking of inventing things, but he battles with things like puzzles and does not like to colour in much, his OT and phycologist said that he battles to see a picture as a whole and my sisterin law phoned yesturday to say that the educational phycologist said that one part of is brain does not connect with the other part in some areas and as he grows older he wont be able to disguise it with his chattering ways, and that his mom should consider stop home schooling and send him to normal school. What type of thing could they be talking about and how serious would this be.

Though we tend to assume that all these areas of action or interest represent a single form of intelligence, there are different varieties of skill and interest. His inventing deals with trying to solve problems he discoveres and wants to solve - whereas puzzles ask him to solve problems someone else designed and which presumably don't interest him.
Home schooling is often not a great idea, as it deprives a kid of exposure to group, social and community norms and expectations, to interacting with other kids and seeing how they handle things, and so on. As a SUPPLEMENT to ordinary schooling, it can be excellent, to extend his personal talents.
From this summary I'm not sure what the educational psychologist is talking about, and whether any sort of diagnosis has been identified, and therefore whether any specific form of remedy is called for

2
Posted by: Annie | 2010/09/29

Sorry i didnt mean to submit it twice i thought it got stuck and i pushed the submit twice..

Reply to Annie