Question
Posted by: marco | 2010/07/06

a new dog in the house

I have a German Shepard that we''ve had for 7yrs. He is a very sweet dog with a friendly nature. We recently bought a yorkie, she is only 8 weeks old. My German Shepard is acting a bit oddly. It seems as though he is terrified of her. He sniffed her, she went into a submissive position and then he walked away. He keeps his distance from her. She absolutely adores him though and wags her tail at seeing him. but when she comes towards him he runs off. he won''t even look at her. Is he just wary because she is so small or should i be worried?

tks

Hi Marco

I suspect that your GSD is probably just a little wary of you new yorkie. The Yorkie is being submissive and not coming across as dominant as by her positioning. Give them time to develope a friendship. Remember that you must give both dogs plenty of praise and attention. Do not favour one over the other. In addition feed them in seperate areas until you are sure that both dogs have adjusted to each other. If you need any help please contact a qualified pet behaviourist/ trainer

4
Posted by: marco | 2010/07/08

tks -)

Reply to marco
Posted by: ANon | 2010/07/07

I had the same problem with my 2 big dogs. I get the feeling they don''t know what a small dog is! It is pretty embarassing when your big dogs hide or get all scared when there''s a poodle or something nearby. However, it does seem that the more small dogs they see, the more they get used to it &  get less scared.

Reply to ANon
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/07/07

Hi Marco

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2010/07/06

Embarrassing, isn''t it? I once had some spaniels and we met a puppy while out walking - they thought it was CREEPY.

I doubt you should be worried - just give him a chance to get used to this strange creature at his own pace - don''t force anything, he''ll figure it out. (But I wouldn''t leave them alone together until they can interact normally!)

Reply to Chill