Question
Posted by: Garfield | 2010/01/10

A new decade ....

Hi CS

I normally check in on this column becuase a.) you were so much help to me when I so desparately needed it so many years back ... and ongoing  b.) I value your advice, so I think that chances are GOOD that even when I personally, don' t need any specific, immediate help that I will always learn something from this site anyway  and c.) becuase I really enjoy your often witty, gritty, truly-laugh-out-loud-funny remarks! (And always wise, professional &  insightful too - obviously).

I find your trip to India truly fascinating! (Both intention on going there and experience!) I imagine that your suits are truly exquisite - have had (very fashionable) friends that have visited &  they have come back with some visions! And I can only imagine the food ....... and the latter bowel movements, ha ha
:-).
Although, being a KZN resident for the last 6 years I think I may just have experienced a taste (but only just that!!) of what may be available in India!

I note your distaste for Christmas carols. They can be painful at the worst of times - and sometime the best too! Although, (to be painfully honest as well) I still hold something in me that thinks they can be amazing in the right instance.

Anyway, apologising up-front for using this space as a general chat forum when there are people who need you urgently, and indeed, your time factor too!! But, I really just wanted to let you know how things are going .. and to let you know that you are not just a ' blank face'  (despite being ' anonymous' ) to so many of us here that really appreciate you &  send loads of happy, deserving " karma vibes"  your way!

From my side (although you know the past history, but now the present), I am (at all nearly 30 years!) embarking on a career and life change ..... I am packing up, going to move to the other side of the country to continue studying full time &  am going back to Uni to cont with Psychology. 1ST degree done 6 years ago, so now to get back in the swing of things :-) ... with the eventual goal of becoming a Psychologist. (Big move from my current career, but exactly what I have Always wanted to do, but got side tracked as a result of chasing partners and money-driven careers).

A few months back I felt like everything had come to an end & , but for grace, (of God, friends, family, my pets, the wonderful people I have met over the last few months &  SCIENCE - you, my psychologist - actual REAL help that is grounded in some sort of knowledge &  foundation) I am 100% sure I would not be in the same place today.

(I guess this refers to anyone reading this, as you CS have so often elequantly put, nothing lasts for ever ... and you can overcome anything life throws at you by learning how to deal with it and knowing it' s not ever-lasting &  how to make it alright for you).

Anyway, just wanted you to know that my CBT Psychologst was/is just amazing &  I learnt so much from her ... tools to use in present and future.

CS, I know you are not into pop-psychology, but if I could send it to you (if there was a CS ADDRESS :-) I would take that risk and send it to you anyway ... Depak Chopra' s latest book is brilliant.

So again, no other points, other than to fill you in: just to let you know that you ARE SO appreciated &  that many of us wish for you the same happiness &  fulfllment as your insights offer us... (I have no doubt that you have been a formulative part of my development over that last 6 years)!

Wishing you a wonderful new decade, with many thanks,

Garfield

Thanks for al the kind remarks, G. Yes of course, carols in the right time and place can be inspiring. Its when they are degraded into muzak, and blared at us in supermarkets and malls that they annoy me most. I prefer some of the less common ones, like "In the Bleak Mid Winter".
Clearly, you are planning a bold but realistic move ahead, and I wish you all possible success in this.
Thanks for the feedback, as it's really rewarding to know how people grow and develop.

1