Question
Posted by: concerned mother | 2008/08/12

A natural alternative to Ritalin

My son aged 7 battles to process instructions in class and is easily distracted from a task if it does not interest him. He is not hyperactive and he does have a good memory with certain things. His teacher says he is quite far behind his peers and wants him to repeat grade 1. He has been on ritalin for the past 2 months or so as this is what his paed and his teachers felt was necessary.
There has been an improvement, but I cant seem to feel content about giving him these drugs, surely they do harm in the long run? Do they hide the problem or do they fix it? I believe in natural products and feel them to be a lot safer and more beneficial to our health. Please advise me on the harmful effects of Ritalin if there are any and also suggest some natural alternatives. There are so many conflicting stories and opinions out there, I just want to make sure I do the best I can for my son, his future is depending on me right now.

I hope you can help

Expert ImageNatural health

hi

one needs to address the diet :
no preservatives, no colourants, reduced dairy and wheat - as these affect concentration. Allergies is something else to look at - even slight runny nose, sniffels ect. Salmon oil should be included to improve concentration as this helps for the nerve conduction. i would also suggest homeopathic remedies more specific remedies to address his constitution. The other reason could be that he is bored in class ? Hope this helps.
Dr Debbie