Question
Posted by: Linda | 2013-01-31

A nation of moaning minnies

I am as upset as anyone else about the proposed electricity hikes. An ordinary working person neither rich nor destitute, but certainly battling.

Everyone moans (including myself) but we do nothing about it. How about boycotting Eskom? Seriously, if everyone that pays electricity used only candles, gas (good old primus) with the light attachment, plate attachment, didn''t use their hairdryer, or tumble dryer, braai''d for a week and used their washing machine only minimally for a solid week being 7 days it would make a difference and they would have to take notice of us. But we moan and we do not stick together.

I will rather spend my hard earned cash and I watch every single penny on batteries, candles, gas and an air-pot after I have boiled my water on the primus than line the coffers of Eskom or anyone else.

Each person can make a difference to make it easier for all of us. Even the rich that feel it is morally wrong could help.

Are you willing to boil some water on a primus and use a tub to bathe or shower in a very cool shower? I am.

What is it that makes this nation not club together in things like this? Nothing racist about it either.. We are all struggling people barring a few.

Maybe somebody out there will read this and do the same thing. Heck in some countries if the local butcher hikes his prices the whole community boycotts until they are dropped to reasonable.

Considering the emerging evidence of how much of what we pay, and how much of the pay hikes, will go towards the obscenely inflated ridiculously high slaraies paid to the woesomely incompetent executives at Eskom, it'd be nice if there were more ways for the public to demand value for money and get rid of the dead wood ( dead wood, after all, being the only fuel some of us can afford )

5
Posted by: Me | 2013-02-01

What facts Linda? It''s a fact everything is going up. Or you don''t think so? Is it only electricity that is going up in your house - where do you come from so we can all go there? It''s a fact Eskom has not increased their prices for years prior to this. Do you have a different " fact" ? Eskom has kept the lights burning even as we speak. You are the one talking hot air.

If you can''t afford it then disconnect it and use your primas, no one is forcing you to use it. I am not confusing you and CS, I am responding to both of you.

Reply to Me
Posted by: Linda | 2013-02-01

Go and do some fact finding before you make comments.

You do not know what you are talking about.

You also confuse what I said with what Cybershrink said.

If you can afford it Goody Gum drops for you, the majority of us can''t and wish to make a stand. So deal with it.

Are all the switches in your head burning brightly?

Reply to Linda
Posted by: Me | 2013-02-01

Everything is going up - why should the electricity prices stand still? Doesn''t make sense. The cost of living is going up all around, not just electricity. And do you think Eskom makes alectricity from potato peels - making electricity requires resources and materials. Eskom spends money to make electricity. If they don''t increase their prices with everything else they will go bankrupt and then the government will have to bail them with your taxes...do you prefer that?

Electricity prices have not been going up for years in the 80''s and 90''s - while everything else did. Did you sing Eskom''s praises then? And this thing about Eskom''s management being incompetent - what is that? What have they failed to do that they were supposed to do? Aren''t the lights burning? What else are they supposed to do that they are not doing? Dead wood - what dead wood?

Reply to Me
Posted by: Linda - Reply to the Me | 2013-01-31

Never mentioned paraffin...

Clearly you can afford it, lucky you!

Reply to Linda - Reply to the Me
Posted by: Me | 2013-01-31

No thanks - I''ll pass on the matches and parafin.

Reply to Me