Posted by: P | 2011-04-04

A little worried

I''ve been on the pill for years and my cycles are always very regular. Now last week I noticed some spotting, which I''ve had for at least 6 days now. My period is supposed to start tomorrow, so I''m a bit concerned. I''m in a relationship but we haven''t had sex in approximately a month, and I also haven''t done anything that might have caused injury. I''ve noticed that sometimes when I run or exercise a lot, I get a bit of spotting, but this year I''ve only been walking around. I started doing long walks two weeks ago, but I find it hard to believe that walking would cause this. And the last thing is that I''ve been under a lot of emotional stress because my brother is in hospital. I almost fainted on the subway yesterday too. But not sure if all these things are related.

I''m 26 and relatively healthy. I have iron-deficiency and I''m very thin, but not sure if that should matter.

Depending on what oral contraceptive you are using, there will be a possibility for spotting. You should not be concerned, as this might be due to a temporary hormonal imbalance. You can consult your doctor to change your oral contraceptive. Your doctor should also do an examination and blood tests like Hb iron count, thyroid hormone, serum glucose and possibly a clotting profile.