Posted by: Real name is Samuel | 2009-03-21

A Hernia on belly button

I am a male, 45 and have a hernia as big as a golf ball right above my belly button. I weigh 108 kilo' s and is aprox 1. 68 m short. I am told that if I do have an opperation then it wont last as a direct result of my weight. I use to do body building and this is the cause of the hernia. A surgion told me that I need to loose at least 25 kilo' s before the opperation and that I need to not work for at least six weeks. Is this true seeing that I do not have medical aid and I have to pay aprox R 18 000 - 00 for the op, so I can not afford to waste the money.

Many thanks and God Bless !

Unfortunately, you will have to loose weight before surgically repairing the hernia. The time you will not be able to work, will depend on the type of work you do.