Question
Posted by: lolita | 2012/05/22

A hacker on my case

Hi CS

Thanks for yr time:

Ive had a hacker on my case since last year.

As we all know South Africa is full of crime and corruption and reporting anything to the police is a joke, an absolute circus when they themselves are corrupt...

I had met this guy online and having, just one cup of coffee with him last year, he confessed to me that he had hacked into my emails, my phones and showed me my passwords... I was shocked and lost for words... For all i know, hes probably reading all this now...

He manipulated my profile online, knows all my moves, blocked both
My phones the very next day... I did suspect something was wrong as he looked very nervous when meeting him and because i rejected him, he hasnt stopped stalking me by manipulating my phones too, by adding contacts or calling me from my friends phones (cant xplain it, very technical stuff) he manages to do all kinds of stuff and controls my phone, even waking me up in the morning, by playing a song from my phone... I dont know how he does this...

Anyway, since then, ive become very anxious and paranoid and have somehow gone psychotic (once i walked aimlessly at night when everyone knows thats the riskiest thing to do in SA)... Im not sure whats happening to me...ive lost my confidence and self esteem, my spirit, even when going for work interviews... Is this normal? Is this man trying to break me? What makes someone like that do that to me and why?

How do i xplain this to a doctor? Do i need medication as i cant get work not being able to sell myself and not finding work for almost 3 yrsl, has made me become work shy tOo. Is this normal? For the first time in my life, ive also xperienced seizures in my 40''s triggered off by all this stress...

Yr help would b kindly appreciated... Please help me understand all of this...

Thank u CS and God bless...

In my own experience, of having a stalker haunting my house and garden, and peering through the windows at night, I know full well how spectacularly useless the SA Police can be.
And what you're describing sounds very much like stalking, and criminal activity.
And my own experience is like yours - it can be far more disturbing than others can realize.
Maybe some counselling would be more useful than medication as such.
I agree with Liza that it'd be important to try to get a restraining order against this guy, from any convenient and accessible court. And a good computer expert ( I found DialaNerd very helpful ) may be able to check outt your phones, etc., check for any malware present, and provide safeguarding software to add. And yes, shut off bluetooth and wireless functions.
If he's into things like your Facebook acouint, close it down completely, and start again ( if you really MUSt use facebook at all, as i'd be wisest to avoid it for a year or two !)
Your ISP and others should also be able to help.

4
Posted by: Happy | 2012/05/24

Oh my word, what a nutcase! Looks like you are going to have go to go extremes to get rid of this guy, because if he has done the above it will only get worse if he cannot get hold of you anymore. And be sure to tell all your friends and family about this.

Take the above advice, get an old phone (they cost like R200 for a very basic phone) and format your computer and LEAVE IT OFF for a long while (maybe work on a laptop with one of those little portable mobiles that you plug into a USB port if you HAVE to use the computer).

You will have to warn your friends as well, seeing that he hacks into their phones too. Ask them to delete your number, then get a new cellphone number and tell them NOT to add it to their phones, rather keep it written somewhere.

Go to the bank too and see if you can open a new account- if this guy can get into everything else, he can get into your account and not only take your money, but get all your details too (ID number, address, etc). Use a POSTAL address only (I hope he doesn''t know where you live).

Do you live in a complex? If there is security, tell them under no circumstances to they let anyone asking to go to your unit in. Anyone that is genuinely there to see you can phone you. Some complexes have systems where you can only be let in by the actual person you have come to see (so there is no risk of being robbed by someone who signed in that they were visiting unit 1, or whatever).

If you live by yourself, get someone to move in with you for a while.

Take a restraining order against him, and also lay a charge of stalking and harrassment and whatever else you can against him.

Get an IT guy to see if he can trace where this guy is hacking you from- he obivously works in a place that has the technology and resources to do this. If you know where he works or even where he lives, it will be an advantage to you because you can get the restraining order and everything delivered to him by the police.

Please add extra locks to your door and get an alarm system- I really don''t want to scare you but this guy may be dangerous (in a violent sense). And if you have a doggy, please don''t leave it outside- people like him seem like the type to poison your pets. And again, I really don''t want to scare you, but give all the information you have on this guy to friends. This guy may just be a looney who is playing mind games, he may be a psycopath who will come after you when he cannot get hold of you anymore. If anything happens to you, there will at least be a starting point on where to look.

Best wishes, and if you can keep us updated.

Reply to Happy
Posted by: Queen | 2012/05/23

I would suggest going off the grid completely technology-wise. Go back to using those very basic phones which don''t have internet or blue tooth for a while. If his strong muscle is technology then he won''t get any excitement from you once you go old school with the phones. Technology can be our worst enemy sometimes.

In an ideal world, you could just get people to ''rough'' him up a bit!

Reply to Queen
Posted by: Liza | 2012/05/22

Have you tried getting a restraining order against this guy? If he''s this obsessive it''s entirely possible that he could become a physical threat later...

The first thing you need to do is take back control. If this guy is as good a hacker as you say, I''d suggest that you completely format your computer and reinstall the software that you need. This is to get rid of any key-logging and malicious software that might be installed on your computer. Then you need to disable wireless/bluetooth connections so that he can''t connect to your computer to change things/install keylogging software remotely. If you HAVE to use wireless networking, you have to ensure that the wireless is using WPA encryption and not WEP since WEP is very easy to hack.

If your cellphone is a smartphone, take it to your service provider and have them format everything and reinstall the standard software. Do NOT store any passwords and login details on your phone from this point. Do NOT use your phone to log into any online accounts - I know it''s very tempting to facebook on a blackberry, but it''s SO easy to hack. Be VERY careful about what software/apps you download on your phone. Many of these apps do malicious things without you being aware of it (like tracking your movements via GPS!)

If any of your online accounts are blocked, contact the website administrator and let them know that the accounts have been hacked. If your email has been hacked, you''ll need to sort this out first and have your password changed so that he cannot check your email when changing passwords on other accounts. NEVER store any passwords on your computer - even when your web browser offers to remember your password for you. It''s safer to write down (yes on actual paper) your login details and ONLY a password reminder that no-one else will understand. That way - even if they do get hold of this paper, it will be much harder to guess your passwords.

If you have no idea how to do what I''ve suggested, it will definitely be worth your while to get an IT specialist to help sort things out. Depending on where you stay, I might be able to recommend someone who''ll be able to help.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza