Posted by: Cyber*shrink | 2008-11-20

A guy with a knife outside my window...

This is not a hoax. 2 hours ago while I was working away at my computer, in my office, reading and responding to Forum postings, I looked up and saw a nasty knife just outside the window next to me. There are blinds and net curtains, and with the light as it is, nobody out there could see me inside. Soon the knife was followed by the burglar. A clean-looking young black guy in a white sport shirt with I think green and black stripes, with a large bulging knapsack on his back. He crept past the rather long window at which I sat, and went further along the back of the house. I looked for the police phone number, and called 10111. BY now the guy was back, and clearly walked slowly round the house several times, always with the knife gleaming wickedly in his hand and pointing forwards. I confirmed that the outside doors were locked, and called the police. Now, in the end, the flying squad did arrive fairly promptly and were really useful. But the women who answer these emergency lines urgently need better training. Their language skills seem limited. Picture it -- I'm trying to speak clearly but quietly as there's an armed man peering through the window a metre from me. MY messages were very clear, exact, and simple to understand. But I had to repeat myself many times, and when she rang off, I had no confidence whatever that she had actually understood or whether anyone would be coming. Then I heard noises from the next room, wher, when I peeper, I could see he was using the knife to try to scrap away the putty to loosen a window pain. Presumably he wasn't confident as to whether or not there might be someone in the house, and decided not to take the noisier route and break a window. I went back to the phone, and called our local police-station. Again, someone who gave me no confidence at all ; again dificulty knowing whether she had understood my message. It would have helped had she simply repeated back to me what she thought I had said, so I could corect her if needs be, and otherwise feel secure she had the right message. Again, she cut off before I knew whether any help would be coming. Fortunately, about 4 minutes later, I saw another figure come past the window --- a nice blue policeman with a gun. Reassuring ! Apparently the knifeman ran and athletically climbed over the high wall nearby, separating my garden from my neighbours, and apparently was seen by people there, and ran to his wall at the back, and jumped quite a long way down, and escaped down the wild hillside behind us. I had to open a window on the second floor to be able to speak to the police in the garden and make sure it was safe for me to come out. In short, they searched, but didn't catch knifeguy, and eventually left. They asked me relevant details, semeed disappointed when I reported that nothing had been stolen THIS TIME --- because I had helped them to interrupt the break-in. I have a description, but nobody took a statement. One of the policemen said he'd like to come and live with me in a month or so, and would bring his gun and rifle to keep us safe. I asked whether we should put up a notice in all official languages saying : Beware : policeman with gun and rifle inside !" and the chuckled. So that's that for now. But if there's a ptolonged silence from my side on the forum, someone might need to check whether I'm still breathing. I was due to go to the Big Brother finale on SUnday night, and a press conference there on Monday morning, so don't expect to hear from me on Sunday or Monday,anyway. But keep fingers crossed. Awfully hard to type with crossed fingers.

Scary indeed. Apparently they don't bother to open a docket for house-breaking ( though the house got broken !) because nothing seems to have been stolen. So we keep fingers crossed.

Posted by: Blackbird | 2008-11-22

anon an Posh

Lets talk again in 5 odd years time.

Reply to Blackbird
Posted by: Kasandra | 2008-11-22

Wow that is scary! Glad you are ok cybie! What a scary concept!

Reply to Kasandra
Posted by: Anon | 2008-11-21

Blackbird, if you cannot make it here, you' re not man enough to make it elsewhere....
Leave us be in this " stinking savage infested hell hole" , we' ll survive!
And if the pastures are greener on the other side, it' s because there' s more manure.....

Posted by: Gees!!!!! | 2008-11-21

Wow, CS, scary stuff!!! I am glad you are ok and that you were able to spot Knifeguy before he progressed any further. The arrogance and guts of burglars and thieves is shocking!!!

I must comment in the way you wrote your story, though. I was glued to the screen from the first sentence. It' s better than a Steven King book. I understand that it was quite an ordeal for you, but wow, you really know how to catch the ' audience' s'  attention. Riveting stuff. LOL.

I am glad you are ok, CS and I hope KG doesn' t return any time soon. Having a ' beware of the Cop'  instead of the ' beware of the Dog'  sign is probably not such a bad idea.

Reply to Gees!!!!!
Posted by: Posh | 2008-11-21

I hope you took all your family along and have no relatives remaining in SA. Otherwise It would be shame on you to call a place where your family still lives a hell hole? Now I would shudder to think you have family living in a hell hole? hmm, Funny how all you expats are always so obsessed with what is happening in SA while claiming you are so much better off where you are. Be happy where you are and let us who live in the savage infested hell hole be. You' al make me sick !!!!

As for CS, I' m glad you came out of this unharmed, I hope that scumbag won' t be coming back again after such a scare.

Reply to Posh
Posted by: blackbird | 2008-11-21

and that my friends, is why i left that stinking savage infested hell hole ...

Reply to blackbird
Posted by: vv | 2008-11-20

Our neighbours were robbed... nearly 7 months later and they still din' t pitch... a policeman told us that it is best to call 10111.. because all calls are recorded incase u need to use it if u sue the police for not pitching. they then can' t tell u that u never called....

Reply to vv
Posted by: Sighhh | 2008-11-20

Glad ur ok,we thank God for that hey!!
Uve been lucky with the SAPS coming after such short notice,they normally take hours to respond.

Reply to Sighhh
Posted by: Posh | 2008-11-20

scarry stuff!!!! glad your ok though.

Reply to Posh
Posted by: Lin | 2008-11-20

Sjoe, what I scare you had! I was scared just reading the heading. So glad you' re ok.
Be careful, we really don' t want anything to happen to you. Hopefully the burglar got such a scare that he won' t pass around that way again.

Reply to Lin
Posted by: Rix | 2008-11-20

You should have asked him to stay, sounds like he needs your help!!
No, really, what would everyone in her do without you????

Good on you for being so alert and awake.

Reply to Rix
Posted by: I believe | 2008-11-20

Good news that you are ok...I must say you one of the lucky ones i dont want to sound bad or anything but some of us when we call the police they take hours before they can show up, if thats if they show up at all...One has to wonder, who u have to be or do to get a 4min responce from the police..

Reply to I believe
Posted by: almost mad | 2008-11-20

that is so creepy!

Reply to almost mad
Posted by: Nia | 2008-11-20

Hi CS - this is shocking. I am very glad that you are ok! You know - sometimes we all feel so powerless and there is nothing we can do about the pathetic service levels and crime rate in this country! Have you ever considered subscribing to reaction services - at least then you have another number to call (and another person to try and explain to!)

Reply to Nia
Posted by: Toni | 2008-11-20

Sheesh, that sounds scary CS, but i' m glad you' re ok. I bet the Knifeguy wont be coming back there again.....or at least i hope so. Don' t even think i' d be able to sleep at night.

Reply to Toni