Question
Posted by: Nandi | 2012/03/15

A good multi vitamin

Dear Doc

Which good multi vitamin would you recommend. I''m a female,29 years of age and recently tested positive.

Dear Nandi
It is not always a good idea to take multivitamin and mineral supplements if you have been diagnosed with HIV. This is especially true if you are receiving treatment with antiretrovirals (ARVs) as some of the ARVs become less effective when used together with vitamin, mineral and also herbal supplements. You first need to ask your doctor if the treatment you are receiving can be affected by vitamins, minerals and herbal extracts before you take any of these products. It is usually recommended that people living with HIV should obtain their nutrients from a balanced diet. I would recommend that you contact the SA Sugar Association to obtain their Booklet on 'Food Choices for People Living with HIV' from The Nutrition Department, SA Sugar Association, P O Box 700, Mount Edgecombe, 4300, or phone: (031) 508-7000, or send an e-mail to: nutrition@sasa.org.za for excellent information on diets for HIV.

1

Dear Nandi