Question
Posted by: bernice | 2010/04/07

a good diet for my 10 month old baby

good day, please can you assist with some advise of what I should be feeding my baby girl who is 10 months old. at the moment she will have 150 NAN2 between 6 and 8am and I give her instant baby cereal between 8 &  9 mixed with water. at 10 I offer her another 150 bottle and then at 12 I''ll give her some fork-mashed carrots/potato/rice/pumpkin or purity (vegetables or fruit). at 2pm I''ll offer another 150ml bottle and water/Purity rooibos tea throughout the day. between 6& 7pm, I give her boiled baby porridge/instant baby porridge mixed with her formula/ mashed vegetables and a bowl of porridge. she''ll have a bath and then 200ml''s formula at bed time which is usually about 8pm. at present, Daniella weighs 9.6kg. my mother however thinks that I might be overfeeding. please advise if this is the case and if so, kindly advise a new diet and routine.

please also let me know when I can start Daniella on cheese, cow''s milk (and everfresh milk - as this is a better option than fresh milk here in Malawi) and yoghurt (we hardly ever get unflavoured/unsweetened yoghurt here in Malawi, so I''m refferring to kiddies yoghurts like Danino, etc)

your urgent advise would be appreciated.

thank you

Dear Bernice
Your lassie already weighs as much as a 12-month old baby, so you may well be overfeeding her. From what you say, she is also receiving 650 ml of formula per day which in itself is very nutritious and will supply her with plenty of kJ. The general recommendation is that infants from 9 to 12 months should only be given 500 ml of formula per day, so start reducing her formula intake gradually. Give her unsweetened rooibos tea or clean boiled and cooled water to prevent dehydration. The additional foods she is having can now be changed from pureed foods to lightly mashed foods so that she can start learning to eat foods that are more solid. According to the WHO infants younger than 1 year should not yet be given cow's milk, so continue with the formula until she is 12 months old and then try using diluted cow's milk in small quantities. You can try her on some yoghurt in small quantities to see how she reacts. Click on 'Diet/Food' at the top of this page and then do a search with 'Weaning' to find the various articles I have written on infant feeding.

1

Dear Bernice