Question
Posted by: Student | 2010/02/09

a good counsellor

Hi Doc, i am completing my degree in counselling. As part of our requirements towards a degree, we need to go for 8 counselling sessions. I went for my counselling sessions, but did not want to tell the counsellor everything that has been going on in my life. I am an extremely private person, and i dont like it if people knows waht is going on in my life. Not even my hubby knows and i am not an evil person that has something to hide, it is just the way i was brought up. She pushed and pushed for me to disclose and i said to her that i feel i have dealt with the problem (i had that time) and i got therapy, was on the prozac and today i can talk about it without crying. So,li have my peace about it, but somehow she felt i needed to revisit it. There were a few situations where she pushed me to talk about stuff that i was not comfortable with. When i didnt, she became a little " stiff"  and in our last session she said to me that i will never be a good counsellor, if i do not open up about what has been going on in my life. Personally, i do not agree with her. Is it really necessary to know absolutely everything about all our clients that we counsel? I dont think so, as long as the client makes sense of what is going on, is that not what counselling is all about? Anyway, just to add a little oil on the fire - she is my 3rd year lecturor vir 3 of the compulsory subjects that i take. How do i handle this professionaly? Do i really need to go and tell the world all that has happened to me?

I'd guess such a formal requirement of counselling sessions is to enable the student to experience counselling as a client. But it's inherently an artificial situation, as it's time-limited, required rather than arising from your independent decision, and because it presumably isn't focussed on any specific problem you want help for.
And in such time-limited counselling, one would not ( if using modern and proven methods such as CBT, focus heavily on deep revelations of childhood. It is old-fashioned and in fact lousy counselling technique to insist on digging back into painful areas of past experience out of a fanaical belief that this MUST be done.
ALl ggood counsellors have sad aspects of their life with which they cope - a capacity to reveal themselves is NOT a requirement for being a good counsellor. And, as someone who was a personal friend of great counsellors like Carl Rogers, I can say so with some authority.
When last did this somewhat arrogant and rigid teacher broadcast to the world all of her own concerns and private worries ?
IF they don't use and teach Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, CBT, then they are using and teaching obsolete methods that don't stand up to proper scientific scrutiny.
However, if you are signed up for a degree course they control, you have to at least convincingly simulate what they demand.

2
Posted by: Maria | 2010/02/09

Your lecturer might be concerned that whatever happened to you will influence your ability to counsel a client with a similar problem. However I find it ridiculous that you are being pushed to disclose it to a lecturer since you have dealt with it in therapy already. Maybe tell her that you will explore this further in private therapy if you feel the need?

Reply to Maria