Question
Posted by: Student | 2008-11-04

A follow-up question on psychiatry

Dear Doc,

I asked you last week about psychiatry vs. psychology. Seeing that acceptance into medical school is really tough, what is your advice on applying? And in the event that I don' t get accepted should you advise me to wait a year and try again or should a career in psychology be as close and just as rewarding as psychiatry? I know it will differ from person to person but what is your personal opinion as a doctor having gone through all that already. Thank you.

I'm no longer involved in selection matters, etc., and thus not usefully aware of the latest wrinkles and problems. A career in psychology certainly can be very fulfilling, and qualifying takes less time than for psychiatry, which is an enormous load and many years long. There's no general rule about the odds of making it on a second application --- it depends on so many factors. If the selectors, for whatever reason, considered you as absolutely not suitable, this would presumably continue to apply however many times you applied ( and sadly, they don't tell you that ) ; if you're considered a possibility, but there are just a number of overall better wualified people ahead of you in the queue this year, your chances might be different next year, if your place in that queue was higher. Again, they don't usually tell you, so its really hard to guess.

4
Posted by: Student | 2008-11-06

Thanks maria. I have done that so I won' t be wasting time.

Reply to Student
Posted by: Maria | 2008-11-05

Why don' t you apply for both medical and psychology, if they will allow you to do that? Then if you' re not accepted for medical you don' t have to hang about for a whole year doing nothing.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Sudent | 2008-11-05

Thank you for the advice Doc. I will take my chances then! And in the event of not being accepted its good to have a backup plan for your career. My backup would be a psychology career. Are the any other similiar careers to psychiatry?

Reply to Sudent
Posted by: Anonym | 2008-11-05

Whats the odds if you didn' t made it the first year that you would make it the second year?

Reply to Anonym