Question
Posted by: Don | 2010/02/24

a flawed argument?

I''ve been in recovery for a while and enjoy a non-alcoholic beer every now and then. Don''t worry, I am very much aware that some do contain a bit of alcohol but I''ve done my research and know which ones are completely alcohol free. Is there any harm in that? I love the bitter taste on a hot day and have never enjoyed something sweet.

A friends told me that I''m not allowed that. What is your take on it? I can''t see that there could be any harm as there is no trace of alcohol in the brand I drink. The argument that there is an association one makes also doesn''t count as then other mixers such as lemonade, coke, tonic water etc etc would also be guilty by association.

Expert ImageArchive

Hello Don

If you love the bitter taste of beer so much, why settle for an imitation version? Go ahead and have the real thing, as, believe me, this is exactly what will happen further down the line.

I'm not being facetious or nasty, but it has been shown over the years that people in recovery who experiment with alcohol-free drinks usually go back to the real thing.

As someone once said in an AA meeting, "drinking alcohol-free beer is like having sex with a blow-up doll." Indeed.

You're busy with delusional foreplay actually, just before the real thing. Let's say a cocaine addict has the same approach.

He loves the way cocaine looks and smells, so he settles for schnaffing baby powder or Grandpa Headache powder.

How insane is that? Er, actually just as insane as a recovering alcoholic drinking alcohol-free beer.

Your denial is creeping back and the danger lights are flickering. You should speak to your sponsor ASAP as well as with someone who has had a long period of clean time.

What is also worrying is the time you've put into "researching" which beers are alcohol-free! And then the rationalisation that follows: "...I have never enjoyed something sweet."

Come on Don, you're dancing with danger here. If you don't like something sweet, have a sparkling mineral water with a slice of lemon.

Put the same amount of "research" into finding drinks which aren't sweet. And I'm not alluding to alcohol-free beer.

Right now, your though processes around this issue are worrying. If you haven't been attending meetings, you should consider going back to them.

If you need to talk to me about this, email me at: herman@harmonyclinic.co.za

Herman

1
Posted by: Addictions expert forum | 2010/02/25

Hello Don

Herman

Reply to Addictions expert forum