Question
Posted by: Bes | 2010/11/01

A few questions

What is the best time to eat breakfast? Is there any truth in it to eat withing an hour of waking up? I have mine between 8 and 8:30.

If I read the label on the back of an item, how do I know what the sugar content is?

How many portions of fruit do I need a day? Is two enough? I eat fruit only as snack.

If I eat more regularly, will my metabolism increase? I try hard to eat 5-6 times a day.
I am 10kg to heavy but I don''t eat that much and if I have to only listen to my body I would end up eating perhaps twice a day and that slowed my metabolism down.
My menu for the day looks like this, please give me some constructive critisism.

Breakfast: small seedroll with thin slice of hame and a small amount of grated cheese.
Snack: 1 piece of a granola bar and a pear
Lunch: Half of a tortilla toasted with chicken and salad
Snack: Gero yogurt and half a banana
Dinner: Beefstripes with rice and mixed veg, and gem squash with sweetcorn.

Please advise what I should improve and also where I should cut back.

Dear Bes
Goodness, I will have to write a book on nutrition to answer all these questions, but let's give it a try! You can eat breakfast at any time during the morning before about 10 am. You can only determine the sugar content of a food from its label if the label actually lists the sugar content which some foods do and other don't. The recommendation is that you eat 5-a-day portions of fruit and veg, thus about 2 fruits and 3 veg. Eating 5-6 smaller meals can promote weightloss provided you eat low-fat, high-fibre, low-energy foods. Skipping meals can cause weight gain because the individual then tends to overeat at the next meal. For an example of a balanced low-fat slimming diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). Compare this diet with what you eat a present and make the necessary changes. You need to include another 2 servings of low-fat or fat-free milk, yoghurt or cottage cheese to provide you with the 1200 mg of calcium you need on a daily basis. The rest of your suggested menu is reasonable.
Hope this helps

1

Dear Bes
Hope this helps