Question
Posted by: Debs | 2009-11-04

A few questions...

Hi!!! I am a 32 yr old overweight female - I have never been thin and never been fit. I have gone to gym often over the last few years, but not often enough to be significant. I have now joined weighless and I am going to gym 4x week. I am focussing only on cardio - pushing my heartrate up as much as possible to get fitter. On Monday I jogged for the first time in my life for 15min...which is awesome for me!!! But when I went to gym last night my legs were so tired so I had a very disapointing workout.
1)Should I be doing weights/circuit too? I have 20kgs to lose
2) How should I be exercising? One day hectic and one day not as fast?
3) My heartrate when I jog (20min) and when I use the elliptical trainer (20min) is about 150-160 bpm - this is ok?
4) Since I have started gymming my weight has remained exactly the same :-( but I am feeling firmer and my clothes fit more loosely - so am I building muscle even though I am only doing cardio? Thank you!

I would really appreciate any advice as I am going to DO IT this time!!!

HI Debs

I think take it step by step, small steps and patience. It's 100% normal to feel tired after your firstday, especially when you've managed to run further than ever before. So don't make any changes just yet. There will come a point where you are doing 15 min easily, and then 30 minutes, and that's when you look at what you can add.

Re the weights, then, wait until later. Focus on one goal at a time, and for now, that goal should be to get fitter for walking and running, and to enjoy it. And that will come. Then later, add the weights.

Re the second question, I was under the impression weighless would advise on training? Or do they only do diet. In terms of a programme, if you're looking for one, on the fitness page of this site, there is a link for "programmes" on the left of the page where you can find a range of them. Given that you have started with walking, maybe a good place to start is the walking/running programme, either for 5km or 10km, in that batch of programmes.

Heart rate - that sounds fine. Impossible to say, because heart rate is individual, some people are higher, others are lower. I think observe it and see how it is going, and then compare your heart rate in the future to your heart rate now, and don't worry about what other people's heart rates might be.

And finally, don't worry about weight. Your weight may well stay the same for a while, because you're going to be increasing lean muscle mass and blood volume, and so even if you're burning fat, the scale won't tell you. So try not to weigh yourself too often - reassess your goal and perhaps focus on fitness. If you get fitter, you'll get healthier, and you'll lose weight. But in your body's own time. Fitness is the best goal.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll do it!

Oh, and finally, the best thing you can do to ensure success, is find some friends to join you - no need to go this alone.

Good luck!
Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009-11-09

HI Debs

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll do it!

Good luck!
Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc