Posted by: JJMB | 2008-12-01

a dog wants to eat me

Dear Doc,

I have moved this weekend to a granny flat and I am very happy except for the big dog that wants to bite me. The problem is that I am very scared of this dog and don' t know how to befriend the animal. I tried feeding it, and he eat the food but as soon as I touch my gate he charges at me. I know the dog will eventually get use to me but only if I do survive him. Please take this seriously. It is as if this dog doesn' t have a personality. And i am very used to dogs for I have a Rottweiller (still at my parents house) and I love big dogs.

This whole thing is creating a problem for my liking for the flat, and I am thinking of moving out ...

SOunds like he does have a personality, but a nasty one. Have you discussed this with the owners of the flat and the nasty dog ? Surely they need to spend time on this, teaching him to like or at least tolerate and trust you, and perhaps limiting the area within which he can roam, so you can be safe in your own area

Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2008-12-02

Dog may be " man' s best friend"  but my neighbours dog mauled my cat to death and I feel squat for this bad-mannered idiot dog. He has barked viciously at me for the 10 years I' ve lived in my house<  EVERY time I come howm to my front door and luckily he is fenced in, or I would feel exactly like you! Get a rolled up newspaper and swat him on the nose whenever he charges you- it' s supposed to be a non-cruel but effective dissuasive method. And DEFINITELY speak to the owners - it' s their responsibilty. Dogs do pick up when you' re scared so speak very firmly to him, show him the newspaper and show him who' s the boss. It' s not your job to feel him, either, at least not until he has learnt how to treat you with some common respect.

Reply to Kay in Gtown
Posted by: Sid | 2008-12-01

Dont show him that you scared, they can pick up on that instantly.take no notice of him when speaking speak and give him orders , give him tit bits and say nice boy, remenber dog is mans best friend :-)

Reply to Sid