Posted by: goutty | 2009-04-01

A diet to prevent gout

I suffer from sever gout, I need to change my diet. Have you any tips?

Dear Goutty
If you suffer from gout then you need to eat a diet that is low in compounds called 'purines'. Generally speaking anyone with gout needs to avoid a buildup of uric acid in the body. Excessive uric acid buildup is caused by a disorder in the metabolism of so-called "purines", which are compounds that occur in high quantities in red meat, organ meats (brains, liver, kidneys, sweetbreads), anchovies, meat extracts, broth, bouillon, and gravies made from meat drippings, sardines, herrings, mackerel, mussels, partridge, fish roes, baker's and brewer's yeast taken as supplements. Beans, pulses, spinach, asparagus and mushrooms have a moderate purine content and can be eaten in moderate quantities. Other vegetables and fruits have a negligible purine content and can be eaten freely. Alcohol and rich, fatty foods also exacerbate gout and cholesterol. Both the gout and raised cholesterol levels may also respond to an increase in the intake of omega-3 fatty acids. Salmon oil capsules are a good source of omega-3. I trust that your dr is also treating you with appropriate anti-gout medications.
I hope you feel much better soon.

Posted by: chris | 2009-04-15

Reply to chris
Posted by: Gout friend | 2009-04-01

Drink losts of " distilled"  water. 5 to 10 liters a day till gout is over. Normal tap or bottle water not clean enough. " Distilled"  or " de-ionised"  water.
Works for me

Reply to Gout friend