Question
Posted by: Kim - Kelly | 2012-11-05

A diet review needed!

My diet consists of a meal
replacement shake for breakfast,
slim slab for snack 1, a chicken
breast with 175g fat free yoghurt for lunch, slim slab for snack 2 and dinner is usually a full plate of fiber rich veggies such as spinache and mushrooms with a salad containing fat free feta cheese. I want to lose 25kg in 6 months. Is this an advisable diet? I am gluten/wheat intollerant, hypoglycemic and Hypothyroid. I work in a salon where the hours are long and only an hour lunch, no kitchen facilities at all so its always food for the deli at lunch. Please help!

Dear Kim
The diet you describe will certainly cause weightloss and may work for you if you are gluten intolerant. However, I am worried about the fact that you are also hypoglycaemic. You may need to add low-GI bread and/or pasta (made with Durum wheat) or brown rice or sweet potatoes or corn on the cob(also high in dietary fibre) to this diet to provide some low-GI carbohydrates so that you don't develop hypoglycaemic episodes and feel faint with lack of fuel for your physical activities. I trust that you are being treated with thyroid hormone replacement therapy (Eltroxin or a similar medication) by your doctor. I would also add an additional serving of fat-free yoghurt or cottage cheese to the diet to ensure that your calcium intake does equal 1200 mg per day and because calcium-rich, low-fat dairy foods have been found to promote weightloss. I know that you have a very long day and probably get home exhausted, but do try to do at least 10-30 minutes of aerobic exercise every day (this could entail brisk walking or skipping or doing a home workout or cycling). It should be feasible to lose 4 kg per month or 1 kg per week.