Question
Posted by: Juli | 2012-11-25

A concept for dieting?

Hi DietDoc,

I have previously heard that if you eat very few calories for a couple of days and then have a cheat day you''ll lose weight all right.

The thing is that I have lost quite a bit of weight following a rather low calorie diet that tells you exactly what to eat and how much (weighed food)- no space for deviation. Weirdly enough this concept of no deviation worked very well for me but I know now that eating too few calories results in weight gain after quitting the diet.

So what I''m thinking is what if I follow the diet (around 700 calls) for say 3 days and then have a normal eating day? Will this help to slow down the weight gain if I''m not on the diet anymore? Is is a viable idea? Otherwise  how do I just teach myself to eat normally? (I seem to have a bit of a mindless eating problem...) According to my BMI I''m still overweight- can lose up to 10 kilos before I''ll be in the lower end of my BMI.)

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Dear Juli
The basis of weightloss is to reduce your energy intake moderately (NOT excessively) and to increase your energy output moderately. In other words, your lifestyle when slimming should not deviate too much from everyday living otherwise you will undo all the good work when you revert to eating normally again. Try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for at least 30 min a day.
Try to use weightloss as a period of adjusting your food intake and exercise levels to a healthy pattern that you can use for the rest of your life.