Posted by: Jessica | 2009-04-16

A+ Blood type nutrition

Just want you to tell me more on which diet I should follow to stay healthy. I am 28 years old.

Thank you!

Dear Jessica
I do not agree with, or believe in the 'Blood diets'. I am not convinced that the blood group diets are based on sound scientific theory. That every person on earth with blood group O for example, needs to cut out carbs, is not logical and also that by doing this you will lose weight. If you start eating only lamb, beef and other red meat you will increase your intake of energy, fat and saturated fat and cholesterol a lot, so rather leave this idea alone. The theory that people with some of the 'ancient' blood groups can't eat grains and legumes is nonsense because well preserved bodies of people who died more than 7000 years ago have been found in the ice of glaciers and when their stomach contents were analysed the researchers found that these people had been eating wheat and all the other components of a balanced modern diet. A basic healthy diet should contain plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables (at least 5-7 portions a day), lean meat, fish (3-4 times a week) and eggs (4 per week), plus 3 cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt or cottage cheese a day, whole, unsifted grains and cereals (3-4 servings), legumes (cooked or canned dry beans, peas or lentils or soya) as often as possible, and poly- or monounsaturated oils or margarine (olive oil, tub marg, etc) (3 tablespoons a day) to provide all the nutrients the body requires for good health.