Question
Posted by: CS01 | 2011/02/21

A bit lost on what to eat

I have a lot of weight to lose (40+kg) and was in denial for a long time about it. I have made the mindshift and I am trying my best to make the right (better) choices than before but I''m finding it difficult seeing that I''ve eaten badly for the last 20 years. I am now on Duromine 30g and I find that it is definately helping with keeping the hunger pangs at bay - I have lost 3kg thus far. I don''t wish to lose weight quickly as I want my stomach to shrink - when I then am off the tablets, the adjustment will not be so difficult.

What concerns me though is that I am not either eating enough or making the right choices. I''d like to give you an example of what I ate yesterday.

Breakfast:
1 weetbix, little milk and canderel
1 apple
handful of nuts (mixed)

Lunch
1 slice rye bread
1/2 avo mixed with 2 teaspoons of chunky cottage cheese (fat free)
chicken schnitzel (1/2 the size of my palm)

Snack
1 apple
1 fat free yogurt

Dinner - I normally don''t have but if I do it will be whatever the rest of the family has had but I watch the portion size by having it on a small plate. I do sometimes only have a baked potato with a little butter.

The duromine makes me not feel hungry but I do realise that I need to eat in order to lose weight. I just feel very confused and overwelmed.

Dear CS01
From what you say, it will take awhile for you to adjust to this new way of eating - after all you have to change your habits of 20 years and that does not happen in a few days. So give yourself time to adjust mentally and physically. Duromine is an appetite suppressant which will make you less hungry and thus reduce how much you eat. The food intake you describe is reasonable, but if you would like to compare what you are eating at present with some slimming diet examples click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets'. Select one of the diets that you reckon you can stick to and use it to readjust your food intake. A good rule is to cut down on your fat intake (check out the low-fat, high-fibre diet on the Diet'nFood site while you are there). If its fatty, don't eat it. So keep the handful nuts down to 1 tablespoon and avoid fatty meat, and fatty snacks.
I hope you will soon be so used to your new diet that it will become second nature to you to eat healthy, low-fat food.

1

Dear CS01