Question
Posted by: ZAP | 2010/01/19

A

In mid 2008 my wife suffered a relapse and was diagnosed with Bipolar 2. Since then it has been a struggle but she has recovered wonderfully. She is currently on Wellbutrin, Seroquel and Camcolit.

We would like to plan for our 2nd child but have heard the anti depressants can cause complications during pregnancy. Is this so, and if so, what alternative medication is available?

This is an exrtremely complex issue, balancing the risks to your wife and to the infant of untreated depression or bipolar disorder itself, and he risks of specific medications during pregnancy.
I'm pleased to hear your wife has been managing her bipolar disorder so well.
For plain depression, CBT counselling speifically can be as effective as antidepressants in managing depression, but this is not so clear in bipolar disorder, though it might help.
Presumably she should currently be under the care of a psychiatrist ( though a GOP can provide some of the necessary prescriptions, Bipolar Disorder should be managed by a psychiatrist ) - see him for a fresh assessment of the present situation, and to discuss the issue of pregnancy, whether it is adviseable, and how best to plan for maximum safety all round

1