Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2014/05/10

Yellow Lab - the cutest but EXTREMELY busy!

Hi - I have a 1 yr old yellow lab named Sam. We got him when he was 8mo old as his owners were emigrating. He chews up everything, has broken 2 windows. He constantly jumps up against my son, my daughter and myself - we have done the puppy school training but none of this seems to help? How do I get this dog to listen... he is so adorably cute but gosh this is going to drive me insane!

- 2014/05/13

Labradors are loyal, loveable, happy and friendly dogs with LOTS of energy. Chewing and mouthing is a common problem among Labradors and a perfectly normal behaviour often seen in dogs under the age of 2 years. The obedient characteristic of a Labrador makes him ideal for any dog training.

Dogs love to chew on bones, sticks and just about anything else available. They chew for fun, they chew for stimulation, and they chew to relieve anxiety (for instance separation anxiety).While chewing behavior is normal, dogs sometimes direct their chewing behavior toward inappropriate items.  

Both puppies and adult dogs should have a variety of appropriate and attractive chew toys.

Provide your lab with plenty of his own toys and inedible chew bones. Pay attention to the types of toys that keep him chewing for long periods of time and continue to offer those.  You can buy Greenies, Dental Kongs, pig’s ears, rawhide bones or natural bones or ask your veterinarian for advice on the safest chews for your dog. We also recommend that you introduce something new or rotate your dog’s chew toys every couple of days so that he doesn’t get bored with the same old toys.

Discourage chewing inappropriate items by spraying them with chewing deterrents. (Ask your vet about these products).

Also remember to provide your dog with plenty of physical exercise (playtime with you) and mental stimulation (training, social visits, etc.). If you have to leave your dog alone for more than a short period of time, make sure he gets out for a good play session beforehand.