Question
Posted by: Caroline | 2013/08/10

Q.

Why do I get a hot flush when I need to urinate instead of the usual urge to pee?

I am a 54 yr old menopausal female and have recently found that the usual urge to urinate has been replaced by a hot flush, is this normal in women of my age and stage of life? Could this be the start of an infection?

Expert's Reply

A.

- 2013/08/12

Hot flushes are, of course common at your age and they can be precipitated by various things - heat , stress, etc. I guess they could be precipitated by wanting to pass urine. An infection is usually associated with burning and frequent urination.

11
user comments

C.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/08/30

I am so glad I read these posts as I thought there was something really wrong with me. I get my worst flushes as night and always have to get up to urinate with them - the two are always linked. Does anyone know of any studies being made on this?

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/08/17

Looks like a lot of have this problem, but what is it we have??

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/07/23

I'm so glad as I was beginning to think it was just me!! I'm 54 and came off HRT 5 months ago. Since then my hot flushes have gradually got worse and more severe and almost every time are accompanied with the need to pee!!! I am also suffering from severe itching and my nerve endings feel like they're in overdrive!!!! Wonder how long till all this subsides!!!!

Posted by: Pat | 2014/07/08

I am 64 and started having hot flushes after coming off HRT (about 2 years ago). silly me thought I would have missed them going on HRT but no! they came back with a vengeance. When I mentioned to my doctor about having a hot flush when I needed to pee he looked at me strangely and said "oh I have never heard of that before". it is so nice to know I am not going mad and I am not the only one having these symptoms. Oh dear here we go again, sorry girls have to rush!!!

Reply to Pat
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/07/01

I had a hysterectomy almost exactly one year ago. I have low body temp and it gets lower when I have a hot flash. (96-97 degrees) I get hot flashes when I need to urinate, as well. I realize now that I was having hot flashes way before my surgery.

Posted by: Teresa | 2014/06/30

I am 40 yrs old. I had a comolete hysterectomy 14 yrs ago due to endometriosis. This surgery put me directly into surgically induced menopause. My docyor said I would deal with these symptoms until my body is ready to go through the real thing. I have this hot flash/urniation connection as well. It's pretty embarassing that my boys can tell I need to go to the bathroom by seeing me have a hotflash. (My oldest son made the connection before I did.) I assumed my bladder had fallen/tilted. My docyor doesn't have an answer either. My guess is we'll continue to deal with this embarassment until a doctor, who cares to find out, experiences it herself. In no way am I trying to be sexist. I'm just being honest. Fourteen years, numerous doctors, and still no answers except,"Hmm, that's odd." I found something on my own that helps. The Women's One A Day menopausal daily vitamins.

Reply to Teresa
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/06/17

I often have a hot flash if I delay peeing when I feel the need. I am diabetic and wonder if this is part of the problem. My mother had menopause related hot flashes until she died at the age of 84!

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/06/05

I am also 54 and have exactly the same problem. This is not the exception, but is every time. Hot flush and then I need to urinate very quickly afterwards. My doctor also has no idea. What are we to do ladies?

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/05/08

I also find myself having hot flushes or flashes before I even know I have to urinate and when I do know I have to go as in AM I get them afterward. I have no other symptoms, take no medications except nexium for acid reflux. I am post menopausal age 63, Hot flashes due to menopause have subsided ... this has only started in the last 4 years..I have told my doctor she has never heard of it. I am hoping this is not a sign of kidney failure..I am other wise very healthy .no high choles, no high blood pressure blood work so good my Dr only sees me once a year. Anyone have any suggestions or answers?

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/05/07

I too have to pee when I have a hot flash or have a hot flash when I pee. And I pee 4 to 7 times during the night when I am trying to sleep. I am 54. No wonder I am so grouchy & mean...not getting much sleep. In my 2nd year of the horrible hot flashes.

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: esther | 2014/05/08

Want to comment?