Question
Posted by: Caroline | 2013-08-10

Q.

Why do I get a hot flush when I need to urinate instead of the usual urge to pee?

I am a 54 yr old menopausal female and have recently found that the usual urge to urinate has been replaced by a hot flush, is this normal in women of my age and stage of life? Could this be the start of an infection?

Expert's Reply

A.

- 2013-08-12

Hot flushes are, of course common at your age and they can be precipitated by various things - heat , stress, etc. I guess they could be precipitated by wanting to pass urine. An infection is usually associated with burning and frequent urination.

36
user comments

C.

The need to urinate is your bodies way of trying to cool you down.

I had the same thing, tried Progesterone Cream, and any number of the remedies without success. II did some research and found Pregnenolone. Bought some from Amazon not expecting it to work and was amazed. Within a few days the flushes had decreased both in intensity and frequency as had the need to urinate. A month on I am able to get through the night getting up once, or twice at the most instead of the 5 or 6 times I was and the flushes before during and after are almost a thing of the past, occasionally I have a minor increase in heat but nothing like the drenching sweats I was experiencing. It works for me, it may not work for you, but I suggest you do some research.

I'm 62 and have just come off HRT. Having similar problems to you all and feeling so tired with having to get up so many times. Wondered if relationship between need to pee and hot flush is because urine is very high in oestrogen - perhaps its because of a build up and then sudden relaese of this hormone that triggers off the flush? But what to do? Really think some research needs to be done as so many women go through this for years and if my current mood is anything to go by, can't function properly during day because of lack of sleep.

Posted by: Lindsey | 2015-05-14

I am 58 and started the menopause at 45. A few years ago the hot flushes seemed to subside a little but they have been back with a vengeance the last year or so. I have a weak bladder and have a hot flush when I need to pee. I've been thinking about seeing my doctor but having read all your comments I may just try a homeopath. It is so debilitating and I really don't think there is enough help for us ladies!

Reply to Lindsey

I' seem to be just the opposite of all of you. I wake up to go pee ,return to bed and bad hot flash. Don't understand it because went through menopause 25 yrs ago. This just started 6mos. ago. Never have flash any other time.

Posted by: Di | 2015-05-05

Fortunately I don't have to go in the night as often as you but it definitely varies - sometimes the hot flush comes first sometimes afterwards. There must be something out there to help us all. It is obviously very common.

Reply to Di
Posted by: Tammy | 2015-05-04

I am 47 and I also been experiencing having to pee/hot flash during the night.after getting to the bathroom.Hot flash goes away..I noticed a lot of us are over the age of 45.surely a female doctor has had this to happened to her,some where around. I have had 4 doctors to tell me they hadn't heard of this and just not check into it.2 of them was females..I have been worried as well about kidney disease. My father died from kidney disease. So plz if anyone finds out what is causing this..let us know.Tx for the comments on here.I thought I was the only one..

Reply to Tammy
Posted by: Debbie | 2015-04-10

I've been doing a lot of research. I found that the itching is caused by the hypothalamus thermo regulatory center freaking out over lack of estrogen and it takes time for it to calm down. Also that neurons send impulses to blood vessels in the skin, sweat and endocrine glands, and the muscles. Affecting the muscles just may be all of our answers as to why we have to pee at that time. Hopes this helps every one with a little more information.

Reply to Debbie
Posted by: Debbie | 2015-04-09

I went through menopause at age 45 and am now almost 63. I too have to pee with a hot flash but my hot flash comes after I go and it is only at night that I notice a hot flash. I only do this when I am off the HRT. I am weaning myself off of it with taking it every three days now. I have to go more often now in the day too and have a hard time holding it, but I don't notice a hot flash then.That could also be tied to cutting back on the HRT now that I think of it. I also noticed some one said they have been itching ever since they went off of HRT. My bottom lip has been itching like crazy since the very beginning of last October and I have been trying every which way to find out what is causing it. When I read that post I went back and looked at my calendar and saw that end of September was when I cut back on the HRT. This could be my answer. Any one else having problems like this too?

Reply to Debbie

My sister and I are both in our mid 50's and both of us have the same hot flash symptom when we need to urinate....My mom developed pain in her hands when she urinates last year at 78, but it isn't all of the time....My nephew broke his neck (C5) 7 years ago, so he knows that he has to pee because he gets a hot flash...the doctors told him that it is a dysreflexic action...I wonder if that is also something similar in our situations? I don't take anything, and don't really want to take anything, but I am very curious.....besides, if I am going to have these hot flashes....why aren't they burning any calories?!?!?!? lol

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous2 | 2015-06-29

I also thought that if we had to have hot flashes, at least we should be burning the calories!!! Not fair!

I have noticed a connection between having to pee and getting a hot flashes..I am 54yrs old..I noticed a lot of you are around the same age and dealing with the same annoying problem..I deal with this problem during the day, and I wake up several times during the night sweating and having to pee..I haven't addressed this problem with my doctor as of yet..after reading these comments it doesn't appear to be an answer for this?..I wonder if there is some sort of an acidic imbalance? Idk?..and people wonder why we get irritable!?!..If it's not one thing it's another!!!

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Debbie | 2015-04-09

I went through menopause at age 45 and am now almost 63. I have had hot flashes ever since unless I am on HRT. I am now weaning myself off of it. Started doing that in September. I too have to pee at night when I hot flash but my hot flash comes after I pee. I only do this when I am not taking HRT so I connected the two quite a while back, and now that I take it every other day to wean off I am having to pee again but only at night time. I saw that some one said they have been itching since they went off HRT. I have been going crazy trying to figure out why my bottom lip is itching all the time now. When I saw some ones post about itching I immediately went to my calender and saw that was when I starting taking the HRT every other day. This could be my answer. Any one else having this problem too?

I just look at it like - going pee stops the hot flash - so I'm thankful I can get immediate relief

I also have the hot flashes when I need to urinate, but only at night. I assume it's because it's only when I'm sleeping that my bladder gets really full, since when I'm awake, I'll go before it gets really full. Usually happens 2 or 3 times a night. As soon as I relieve the pressure on my bladder, the flash ends. I can't complain too much, because this is the only time I have hot flashes and they last only as long as it takes for me to get from the bed to the bathroom. I've noticed I also get them if I wake up needing to move bowels or pass wind (sorry ladies, menopause is NOT for the faint-of-heart!) It's an odd symptom, but I haven't worried much about it, since I've always had some weird things associated with the vagus nerve (pee shivers, nasal congestion whenever moving bowels, etc.). I just assumed that this is another vagus nerve trigger, which sounds like a reasonable theory. Whether that's the cause or it's something else, the one thing I am sure of is that it's not a sign of kidney failure, so those of you that are worried about that, please stop worrying.

I too have been dealing with hot flashes for 30 years and my Mother had them until she died at 97. The flushing with urination is relatively new. A naturopathic, doctor told me it is probably the body trying to rid itself of toxins which makes some sense. I find that it is better if I drink lots of water, particularly before bed. And I have had a great reduction in night sweats after starting to take probiotics and prebiotics a couple of months ago and staying hydrated.

Posted by: npeace | 2015-02-05

I am absolutely shocked that so many of us are experiencing the same thing. I honestly thought that my kidneys were actually failing. It's a very uncomfortable feeling having to urinate everytime I have flushes. I am 52 and have been dealing with this issue since age 31. My doctor also raised her eyebrows and said, "mmmmmmmm?" Somebody please.......HHHHEEEELLLLPPPP!!!

Reply to npeace
Posted by: Chrys | 2015-01-12

I am 53 and also have this all night. It seems to be worse at night. My hands feel like they are on fire and the urge to urinate is awful along with terrible sweating right after the urge. I just woke up and was complaining to my husband about it. Here I am at his advise. I too have wondered if my kidneys were failing. I am type 2 diabetic and taking related medication and am also taking Nexium. Dr. just looked at me strange when I asked and gave me medication for sleep and anxiety. Thinking of visiting a Urologist. If I do I'll post an answer if I get one. I at least know that there are a lot of us out there.

Reply to Chrys

Good to know I'm not the only one. I am 55 and have had this problem s once Mt hysterectomy in 2002. I hate it and I can't find anyone who can explain this

Posted by: leorising | 2014-12-05

I'll jump on the bandwagon. I am 55 yrs old and have been menopausal for one year. I notice that when I have a hot flash, I also need to pee. So ridiculous. Nice to know I'm not alone! And funny that the docs don't have the faintest idea what causes it. I wonder if there isn't a receptor or trigger for hot flashes that is activated when the distended bladder stretches across it. All this hardware is in the same neighborhood, after all. Doctors take note! Figure this one out, would you? It's an interesting question, if nothing else.

Reply to leorising

Ladies. Talk with a Naturopathic physician. There are several different kinds and from my experience, they can help and have more answers to treat the body naturally for this and many other conditions. This is a common condition/imbalance proven here by the number of comments on this site, and as noted in by many, western medicine doctors haven't heard of it???? If they tell you that, I would suggest you find a new doctor.

I am 63 and and have been dealing with this for the past 20 years. It started a year after I had my last child at age 39. My doctor told me that menopause only lasts a year or two. He was so wrong. If this is part of menopause it is Hell. I am always looking for a washroom, where ever I you go. Because I know I'm are going to need it soon. Winter is the, just going out to get in the car, can cause a hot flash and the urge to go, even though I just went before going out the door.

Posted by: lovetodance | 2014-10-07

I too have the same thing all night long, I have to go urinate ever two hours and if I try to sleep through it no go. I have a horrible hot flash before and after I urinate. Again every two hours clock work.... I need so sleep. Even if I take something to help me sleep it is every two hours and hot flashes before and after. Help please.

Reply to lovetodance
Posted by: Neicey | 2014-09-16

Ladies, I am peri-menopausal and have noticed the flushing related to need to urinate. As a teacher, I cannot just go at any time. My daughter pointed out that having to wait would cause minor stress and this might be causing a slight increase in blood pressure which then leads to flushing. Makes perfect sense.

Reply to Neicey

Doctors are trained not to look beyond the conventional research, pharmaceutical remedies, and surgery. The whole profession has forgotten that we are natural biological entities and natural remedies are much more effective. We are all different and we know our own bodies best. The pee/hot flash connection makes sense if we consider that needing to pee is a stressor/stress relief, and hot flushes are somehow connected to stress, anxiety and panic attacks. For what it's worth, my solution is a sugar-free organic diet. Takes about 6 months to notice improvements, but natural remedies are not like pill popping quick fixes,

I am so glad I read these posts as I thought there was something really wrong with me. I get my worst flushes as night and always have to get up to urinate with them - the two are always linked. Does anyone know of any studies being made on this?

Looks like a lot of have this problem, but what is it we have??

I'm so glad as I was beginning to think it was just me!! I'm 54 and came off HRT 5 months ago. Since then my hot flushes have gradually got worse and more severe and almost every time are accompanied with the need to pee!!! I am also suffering from severe itching and my nerve endings feel like they're in overdrive!!!! Wonder how long till all this subsides!!!!

Posted by: Pat | 2014-07-08

I am 64 and started having hot flushes after coming off HRT (about 2 years ago). silly me thought I would have missed them going on HRT but no! they came back with a vengeance. When I mentioned to my doctor about having a hot flush when I needed to pee he looked at me strangely and said "oh I have never heard of that before". it is so nice to know I am not going mad and I am not the only one having these symptoms. Oh dear here we go again, sorry girls have to rush!!!

Reply to Pat

I had a hysterectomy almost exactly one year ago. I have low body temp and it gets lower when I have a hot flash. (96-97 degrees) I get hot flashes when I need to urinate, as well. I realize now that I was having hot flashes way before my surgery.

Posted by: Teresa | 2014-06-30

I am 40 yrs old. I had a comolete hysterectomy 14 yrs ago due to endometriosis. This surgery put me directly into surgically induced menopause. My docyor said I would deal with these symptoms until my body is ready to go through the real thing. I have this hot flash/urniation connection as well. It's pretty embarassing that my boys can tell I need to go to the bathroom by seeing me have a hotflash. (My oldest son made the connection before I did.) I assumed my bladder had fallen/tilted. My docyor doesn't have an answer either. My guess is we'll continue to deal with this embarassment until a doctor, who cares to find out, experiences it herself. In no way am I trying to be sexist. I'm just being honest. Fourteen years, numerous doctors, and still no answers except,"Hmm, that's odd." I found something on my own that helps. The Women's One A Day menopausal daily vitamins.

Reply to Teresa

I often have a hot flash if I delay peeing when I feel the need. I am diabetic and wonder if this is part of the problem. My mother had menopause related hot flashes until she died at the age of 84!

I am also 54 and have exactly the same problem. This is not the exception, but is every time. Hot flush and then I need to urinate very quickly afterwards. My doctor also has no idea. What are we to do ladies?

I also find myself having hot flushes or flashes before I even know I have to urinate and when I do know I have to go as in AM I get them afterward. I have no other symptoms, take no medications except nexium for acid reflux. I am post menopausal age 63, Hot flashes due to menopause have subsided ... this has only started in the last 4 years..I have told my doctor she has never heard of it. I am hoping this is not a sign of kidney failure..I am other wise very healthy .no high choles, no high blood pressure blood work so good my Dr only sees me once a year. Anyone have any suggestions or answers?

I too have to pee when I have a hot flash or have a hot flash when I pee. And I pee 4 to 7 times during the night when I am trying to sleep. I am 54. No wonder I am so grouchy & mean...not getting much sleep. In my 2nd year of the horrible hot flashes.

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: esther | 2014-05-08

Want to comment?