Question
Posted by: | 2017/10/23

Why do I feel this way?

Good day. Today I went to the pharmacy to get medication and while there, a man asked me if I could help with buying diapers and milk for his baby. At first I said no and went about my business. Then he came back and asked me again and I again said no - I do not give money to beggars, he actually started to sound like he wanted to cry and saying nobody wanted to help him and this is when I gave in - probably against my better judgement. I bought a diapers and a tin formula milk for him. After I paid he wanted to give me some money he had with him but I said keep it and off he went after he profusely thanked me and the cashier said may God bless me for doing that. So I'm assuming he has been there quite a while. My question is this: why do I not feel like I did something good? I actually feel anxious now? I keep thinking maybe he is going to trade it for something else or some other sinister thing after this costing me a fair amount of money... or maybe it's just me not liking giving my money away and not being the "good" person I thought I am?

- 2017/10/24

Good day.  It'll be really interesting to see what other readers have to say about this.  I don't at all see this as being anything about you not being a "good person" : only a genuinely good person would be troubled about this. 
There are many people in difficult situations in life, who need help from others ; and unfortunately there are also many people making fraudulent claims and abusing the potential kindness of strangers.  So you were perfectly right to be cautious.
It isn't usual for a father to be out on his own buying diapers & milk for  baby.  And it may be that h as hoping to receive donation of cash which he could spend on drugs or booze as he wished, so you were indeed wise to not give him cash, but actual diapers and formula milk.  I suspect there may not be a large Black Market in diapers or milk formula, but then, what do I know about such things ?   I've occasionally been approached at the Mall with a snaky guy offering cell-phones and such like, but never had a "Psst!  hows about some special diapers ?"