Question
Posted by: Petals | 2014/01/22

TOE BONES MALALIGNED FROM EXCESSIVE REPETITIVE MOVEMENT, WHILST BAREFEET

Hi Doctors, Ten years ago, in UK, I started learning Tae Kwon Do at University. One day, they decided to do a competition to see who could do the most kicks in 60 seconds. Yes, I did. But I damaged my toe bones in the process. It pained constantly, and eventually I went for an X-Ray and was told that the bones are "not normal" or "not aligned normally". I forgot about it and carried on with life. All I needed to do was not bend my big toe too far down (I could not, actually, as it was too painful). Now and then I experienced pain with a sideways movement, when I wore a high heel shoe. Generally, it didn't bother me. Now, ten years later (I am also a runner), I find that suddenly my big toe was extremely sore. I massaged it and now its ok again - not bothering me, and not paining and my life carries on as normal (running and sports and high heel shoes and all). Now here are my questions: Should I be worried about these mal-aligned toe bones? Are they going to get me into arthritis in my old age? And, the most scary one for me, will they prevent me from running later in my life? Just because its not bothering me now, doesn't mean that it won't later in my life (but it is ten years ago, and I'm still doing just fine without any intervention). I'm just worried because I don't want to regret not doing some or other procedure when I was younger, and then in my older age, the whole thing gets so bad that I can't even run or lead a normal life. Can that happen, given what you know above, about this case? This is my worry and why I am asking you to please help me.