Question
Posted by: Lisa | 2017/07/18

Sexual harassment.

Hi i think it just sunk in as i am crying and my husband and kids are trying to comfort me. I am disabled and looking for work in the Boland, Cape Winelands area. Someone phoned me and spoke English. He said he is oversees at the moment and that his secretary just sent him my number as a potential candadate. He asked if i would mind a live camera interview. I said sure but as i was in my bed and my kids are sitting by me, could we do it an hour later? He said unfortunately not as he only has a small bracket of internet time. So he phoned. Very nice man, black hair and about 30 yrs of age. He asked questions like where i have worked before, my job requirements, my hobbies ect. He asked if i was married and i said yes and that he could see my 2 young boys behind me. I even said sorry about the way i look and that it is school holidays. The next thing i knew he was swinging his private parts right into the phone camera. I immediately cut him off. Luckily my kids did not see it. After that i just starred in front of me for 10min as i was shocked and shaken. I do have the number where he phoned from and i do remember we got cut off during the conversation and i got a message that his data had run out. He quickly phoned back though. I feel taken advantage of, shaken up and really heartbroken that he would do that knowing and seeing my kids behind me. What can i do to report it? It really traumatised me.

- 2017/07/18

Hi Lisa,
Indeed, that could be a really upsetting experience : sounds like a high-tech modern version of the old-fashioned Flasher. In the old days, pathetic guys like him would have to go out on the streets in a grubby raincoat, prepare themselves under that, and then flash themselves at passing women.
Try not to let yourself get too upset : remember, what he most wanted was for you to be so upset, so do not allow him to get what he wanted.
Of course, looking back, maybe you could have been a bit more suspicious but really nice people often don't suspect others.
Interviewing by cellphone isn't done by anyone the the sort of sense he was supposed to have.  Was the job so very senior and crucial to the company's work that he couldn't wait until he returned from overseas, or have someone senior locally give you a proper interview ? Why wouldn't his secretary have called you first, to set up the arrangement ?
Anyhow, treat him with the contempt he deserves.
I suspect what he did was potentially criminal,so you might want to consider consulting the local police for advice. How did he get your name and number ? How have you been looking for work ? Did you give your contact details to some employment agencies ? ( If so they might appreciate being warned that a seedy little guy like this could be taking advantage of them and their clients.) The smaller the number of people who had your contact details and knew you were looking for that sort of work, the smaller the number of suspects.

5
Posted by: anon | 2017/07/19

try using the DWDE Disability workshop development enterprise. they may be able to get you a job. details on internet

Reply to anon
Posted by: Lisa | 2017/07/18

Thanks, i advertised on gumtree with my contact details like many jobseekers do. I have removed everything after the incident.

Reply to Lisa
Posted by: Anonymous | 2017/07/18

It's unfortunate but sadly there are sick people in the world and he ws probably just some weirdo who found your number somewhere and took advantage. I'm not going to tell you how you should react, but me personally would just move on and not let it bother me. It's childish and gross but really not worth getting hugely upset over (I have been flashed myself when I was 19, in the street and I literally just told the dude I don't have time for sh!t and walked in).

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Lisa | 2017/07/21

Posted by: Anonymous | 2017/07/18

Just forget about it and move on. No harm was really done. Yes you saw the images, how many times do you sometimes open a video thinking its clean content only to find out it has nudity. m sure its many times. Just move on. spare yourself the stress and fruitless exercise.