Question
Posted by: Clara | 2015/03/23

Severe Headache on the right side

I have a terrible headache on the right side side every time which started about 10 days back. I have everyday since it started. The pain goes behind my right eye and all my right side of the head.It comes for a while maybe an hour then it goes away, then again. Sometimes 2 or 3 or more times a day. At night when it starts i wake up in my sleep cause of the pain. I take pain killers panado and i have also tried ibuprofen when i have the headache but that does seem to help. It goes on until the episode of that headache is gone. What could be the cause of this? Your advice in this will be much appreciated.

Expert ImageHeadache expert
- 2015/03/24

Dear Clara,

From the sound of it you may have what is called "cluster headache" - but to be certain we would have to examine you. Fortunately we can usually treat this condition successfully. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

To contact The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Johannesburg), call 0861 678 911, or e-mail to info10@headclin.co.za