Question

Q.

Resume of sexual activity after lumbar discectomy and lumbar laminectomy surgery

I have had the mentioned lower back surgery almost three weeks ago and me and my husband would like to resume with sexual activity but I am very scared because I am not sure when it will be safe to resume sexual activity. Please can you help us in this matter?

Expert's Reply

A.

- 2014-01-30

I suggest you discuss your specific progress and recovery with your surgeon – as he/she will have a far clearer indication of where you are at and what you could endure and partake in.  Depending on the patient, sexual activity could be resumed a week after the procedure if the patient feels comfortable.  The crucial factor in this regard is the comfort level of the patient.  As soon as the patient experienced discomfort – stop and either leave it of explore another position.  Discomfort and pain are the body’s way to alert potential damage.

For further information please consult SASHA’s website at www.sexualhealthza.co.za. For referral to a professional in your vicinity, please send an email to helpline.sasha@gmail.com.  

3
user comments

C.

Posted by: Raleigh | 2014-11-09

I had sex a mouth after surgery twice the same week it hurt like hell never did it again until Seven mouths later they say u can have sex read much you can on your surgery talk it over with your other half before the surgery because she going to want it you and her read read every thing both of you together.

Reply to Raleigh
Posted by: Cyclist | 2014-02-06

I have had 2 spinal fusions and got back in the saddle asap.Just find a position that is comfortable for you and dont allow him to be too rough

Reply to Cyclist

24 years ago I had a laminectomy. the operation came about after an extended period of extreme debilitating pain for which I was given morphine. I have been left with permanent nerve damage in my left leg. The operation took place at 5pm on a Thursday I was released from hospital on the Sunday and had sex with my wife on that same day. I was cautious but very pleased and happy. The surgeon's only comment to me on physical activity was about not playing golf for at least 6 months. I managed to stay away from golf for 5 1/2 months. I have had no need for so much as a disprin for back pain in all the following years.

Want to comment?