Question
Posted by: nessa | 2017/11/17

Under active thyroid

Recently I have been diagnosed with h ashimotos (graves disease) Have an under active thyroid. Need advise on diet dos and donts of what threat. I am overweight at the moment feel very lethargic. My doc as put me on 1oomcg euthyrox. T3 is fine not happy with T4 so he's up my dose to another 25mcg. Need help with diet what to eat and which foods to stay away from. Much appreciated thanx

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2017/11/19

Good Evening
The nutritional management of Hashimoto's addresses a few factors such as obtaining a Diet history to evaluate any micronutrient intake esp. vitamin D, iodine, zinc, selenium. The Management therefore includes the 1) Supplementation with appropriate nutrients to address any deficiencies, 2) an Anti-inflammatory diet ("Mediterranean: avoiding all processed items, including more fatty fish and legumes and including a variety of fruits and vegetables) and an 3) Elimination diet for possible food intolerances such as gluten. In addition, one would want to focus on your weight status and lethargic feelings.

I therefore think it would be ideal to visit your nearest Dietitian who can assess your current nutritional status, weight status and help you plan a way forward.

Visit www.adsa.org.za to find your nearest Dietitian.