Question
Posted by: H.A. | 2017/08/23

Parasite? Insect? Or something else?

Hi. Im a 24yr old female. A year ago I began to have very weird symptoms. It first started with the feeling like something was crawling around my ears and scalp, mostly at night or in a dark atmosphere. Then I began to have some weird feelings like something small was crawling in my head. I could feel the pressure in the ear canal, feel travel between the throat, sinuses, lungs(a dropping or tapping sensation in the lungs) other spaces in the head. When the pressure travels near the throat and nose area, i get a very weird taste and smell, it almost reminds me of a chemical. I've had a scratching sound in the back of my skull when laying down to sleep, and several occasions with tapping, on the skull and in the ears. I also began to experience these weird inner body tremors that lasted for the first year, Like my body would vibrate on the inside randomly. Other symptoms that I have to this day are frequent body weakness and all over body pain, including skin, muscle, joints usually accompanied by an generally upset stomach. As far as my ears go I have trouble with them every day, I have sporadic tickle like itches, or pain that varies between slight and almost unbearable that comes and goes. But more than anything it's the crawling and flicking in and around my ears at night. If it were something like a parasite, I don't understand how it can feel like an insect exiting and entering the ears and crawling in my hair. Please, if you have any ideas.

Expert ImageAllergy expert
- 2017/09/11

This doesn't sound like an allergy. Check for signs of insects such as bedbugs in the room. The sensations you have may be a form of epilepsy called Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. You should discuss this with your doctor and perhaps see a Neurologist for an EEG test.