Question
Posted by: | 2013-07-02

Q.

Obsessed with job hunting

I am in my late 20s. I have been job hunting for the past 2 years with no success. Not a week goes by without me applying for a job but nothing happens. I have been to career couselling and that didn't help .In the mean time everyone around me is succeeding and I'm feeling more and more depressed. What I'm I doing wrong?

Expert's Reply

A.

- 2013-07-02

It can be very dispiriting, I know. When Times are really good, anyone with knowledge or skills has an excellent chance of getting a good job ; when times are tough even the best of us can struggle unfairly to get good work. Now, I'm sure it feels that way, but a rather doubt that "everyobody " around you is succeeding, though they probably try hard to give you that impression ; and you yourself probably don't try to share all your fears and uncertainties with them.  We all tend to try to give the impression that we're doing fine, and to emphasize the good stuff.  What matters is not to let yourself get too discouraged, and to keep trying.  Sometimes it\s a good idea to take on voluntary work, either as an intern in  the sort of work you plan to enter, or with an NGO or charity, both to keep busy and in the habit of getting up and working, and to fill the gap in your CV and show prospective employers your value, and that you don't easily give up.  Best of luck !   What further advice can other readers offer ? 

3
user comments

C.

Maybe your cover letter is not selling enough when you apply for a job - remember that people are getting hundreds of applications, so if you have a cover letter with spelling mistakes or no cover letter, they're probably not even going to look at your CV; you need to point out how you are suitable for the position you apply for. Google how to do a good CV and cover letter.

Posted by: Liza | 2013-07-03

I don't know whether this is relevant, but I also had a problem finding a job a couple of years ago. I constantly tried for almost 3 years without success even though I'm highly qualified and experienced in my field. Then I got my brother to pretend that he was a prospective employer and he called all the people on my CV for references. One sour-grapes manager that I'd previously worked under, was telling prospective employers that since he couldn't say anything positive, he'd rather not say anything about me at all!

I immediately removed this guy as a reference from my CV and a week later I'd already had an interview and was offered a job!

There can be many other reasons why your job applications aren't successful. Perhaps there are too many people with the same levels of experience and education that you have, and if your CV isn't outstanding or memorable in some way, it will be rejected. Another reason may be that you're trying to find a job in the wrong places.

Career counseling only helps if you don't know what kind of career you want. It helps almost nothing to actually find a job! Perhaps if you posted more details, we could help further?

Good Luck,
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Rishaan | 2013-07-03

Do you have any prior work experience? Do you perhaps have any qualifications?

Reply to Rishaan

Want to comment?