Question
Posted by: Pixie (again) | 2013/04/03

Q.

OTC Tranquilizers and anti-anxiety meds

Hi CS My GP has prescribed up to 50mg xanor per day - I have been trying to split the doses and only take 25mg (don't know if it is 0.25mg or 25mg as I don't have the box with me). Anyway - he's not keen to keep prescribing benzodiasipines (??) due to their addictive properties - as I've mentioned before. I find these are the only things that help my panic/anxiety attacks (i've tried at least 5 or 6 different SSRI's but they all make me so nauseous or eat like crazy and I am still working on controlling my appetite). I am waiting to see a shrink (the one he referred) early in June and I need to have something on hand to take until then. Do you think calmettes will help or relicalm? I have found relicalm is good as like a maintenance thing that I can take daily before I start feeling panicky - only xanor or alzam work if the panic feeling has already started. Sometimes if mild I can take the rescue tabs. I have only 12 xanor left since he prescribed them to me on the 11th March - and I don't know if he is going to allow me to have more until I can see the shrink so I am trying to save them for absolute emergencies and need to have something I can take daily to keep the panic away. Also, I have been taking zolnox for sleeping as my husband works late into the night and then I don't sleep until he gets to bed. Problem is I think my body has become dependent on it as last night I tried not to take a zolnox (I have in the last week started cutting the tablets in half instead of taking a whole one) so I took somnil .. eventually after about an hour I started getting dozy but then hubby came to bed and I couldnt fall asleep - eventually I felt a bit nauseous so took aculoid. Then still couldnt sleep so took half a xanor to relax as I didnt want to take the zolnox on top of the somnil. What can I do? I am a light sleeper and at the moment need help but dont want to be dependent on the zolnox (which I think I might be seeing as the somnil didnt really help) I don't know if I must take the somnil an hour before I want to go to bed.... I am really trying to get off the prescription meds and look for something OTC and more natural to control the anxiety, insomnia and nausea ... help!

Expert's Reply

A.

- 2013/04/03

Yup, these are Benzodiazepines, which is why we call them benzos. And they have been shown in significant numbers of people, to produce dependency problems and difficulty in coming off them, if they are used continuously for over 2 months or thereabouts.

Personally, I dont like using routine, daily, benzo's to treat panic attack, as its been shown that SSRI and related antidepressants reduce the attacks more effectively, though a benzo can be used to help relieve the symptoms in an acute attack, and some are even usefully absorbed if one places a broken tab under the tongue.

You could try the over the counter (OTC ) remedies, but I haven't seen good evidence of them being particularly effective ; and remember they are also likely to be sedating like benzos, so be careful about driving, etc.

Obviously you'll want to discuss the sleeping problems more with your psychiatrist when you see him. If a small dose of something like Zolnox doesnt work for you, better increase the dose of that Zolnox ( which you had been cutting down on ) ; there's no benefit to be gained by taking as you describe three different sedative drugs. That's like putting sugar and saccharine and honey in your tea or coffee !

And newer sleeping meds like Silnox are designed to be FAR less likely to cause any dependency problems than the Xanor, and to wear off before morning, rather than leaving you dopey after you wake.  SO there's no great advantage  in adding the xanor.

You may actually need less sleep than you are assuming, so if you're not getting to sleep promptly, don't panic or worry.  Just get up and read a book, or do something similarly unexciting, and go back to bed when you feel drowsy.  Similarly, it can be more effective to take the sleep med an hour or so before you plan to go to bed, and again, go to bed when you feel sleepy.

NOTHING available over the counter is "natural", that's merely a dishonest advertising gimmick.  They are often not safer and never more effective than presciption meds used properly.

1
user comments

C.

Posted by: Raider | 2014/04/30

My daughter has been prescribed Pax. She's had severe neck pain and my doctor has determined that she is overly stressed so he prescribed 1/2 Pax daily. Would this have any impact on her insurance request in the future?

Reply to Raider

Want to comment?