Question
Posted by: DAWN SCHLORF | 2017/09/22

Nerve pain after spinal tumor removed.

Hi In 2010, I had a spinal tumour removed from my spinal cord between L4 and sacrum. At first, I used a wheelchair for about 2&1/2 years...then managed to walk, but still with a lot of pain. The medication prescribed, for example Lyrica worked but left me very depressed and a bit Psychotic as did all similar medication that I was prescribed. Since January I have started taking Trepiline 75mg, but it does not do much except the burning pain is a bit better. I have been to neurologists and neurosurgeons, but they prescribed the other meds that made me cuckoo. Even tried cannabis oil...but I slept all day and must work...so gave up on that one. However, the last neurologist I saw, in January, tested my nerve activity and found it to be only 35% working on my left leg...the side the tumour was on. I also have had to have a few procedures on my bladder as I struggle to urinate...sometimes have to use a catheter and get bladder/kidney infections often. I cannot afford an MRI at this stage to ascertain any re-occurrence of the tumour and as the histology of the tumour is not of one that can become malignant, an Orthopaedic doctor, I saw in January advised that I can put having a MRI on hold until I can afford it. I have ongoing physio which does help a bit and recently started swimming/walking.... can’t kick as my legs go into spasm. I am determined to own the pain with the least amount of medication...do not use any pain medication. I am also very overweight as I am not very mobile and also had a tumour removed on my thyroid 2011...removing that as well in 2011...at that time I doubled my body weight and since then unable to lose it even although I do eat quite healthy, with the occasional junk food. I would appreciate any input and would some type of pain management tools I can use. Thank you and so sorry for the long mail. Dawn Schlorf 60 YearsYoung :-)

- 2017/09/28

Hi Dawn

This is indeed a very difficult situation. Are you receiving any thyroid supplementation and have your thyroid levels been checked? This could also add to the weight gain and inability to manage the pain. There are specialists who deal exclusively with patients who are experiencing severe pain. I suggest that you try and make an appointment with a pain specialist. Physiotherapy is a good idea, and I am glad to hear that you are seeing one, but you will have to start mobilising otherwise the pain will just become worse and you will gain more weight. Good luck and I hope you find some relief soon.