Question
Posted by: Morne | 2013/06/19

Q.

Kilojoule Intake

Good Day Doc I am a healthy 32 year old man, 1.8m tall and weight 88. I want to loose a few kg's (±10kg) but I am not sure by how much kilojoules I must cut, and what my daily intake should be? I am currently not active, but am planning to join a gym in the very near future. Many thanks Morne

Expert's Reply

A.

- 2013/06/19

Dear Morne

Your present BMI = 27,2 which is just above the upper cutoff value for the normal weight range (18-27). I would suggest that you reduce your weight to 74 kg to achieve a BMI of 23. A 10 kg loss may be excessive. Adult men require approximately 11,200 kJ per day. For a steady weightloss you can reduce your energy intake by 2,100 kJ per day down to 9,100 kJ per day. It is a good idea to join a gym so that you can do aerobic exercise for at least 30 min a day or 60 min every second day.

Want to comment?