Question
Posted by: Roxanne | 2013/08/06

Q.

I experience a headache each day usually at the same time and only ever on the left side of my head, only my left eye starts to water and my nose runs

Please can you help, this headache feels as though my heart is beating behind my left ear and the one side of my face the lfet side sag's a bit.. I went to the doctor he says I have a spasm but I have been for expert massages- I am now crying myself tosleep and cannot function litrelly dying of this pain pls pls hjelp

Expert's Reply

A.

Expert ImageHeadache expert
- 2013/08/07

Dear Roxanne,

It sounds as though you have a combination of muscle and arterial pain, but one has to have an expert diagnosis to be certain.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

To contact The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg), call 0861 678 911, or e-mail to info10@headclin.co.za  

1
user comments

C.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/08/28

I have had a lot of success with headaches by going to a BSR (Body Stress Release) practioner. http://www.bodystressrelease.co.za/bsr_assoc.htm

Want to comment?