Question
Posted by: Estelle | 2017/01/18

Struggling to perform in life

I don't know what the root of my problem is that is holding me back from performing in my life. I was thinking of consulting a hypnotist. Please advise. I am currently unemployed and I don't know what to do anymore. I have applied for so many jobs without any success. I am prepared to do any job as long as I can make money. I feel very useless and my self esteem has taken a massive knock. I don't want to fall into depression.

- 2017/01/19

I would never advise consulting a hypnotist. That's like consulting a carpenter who has only one single tool in his box, which is a hammer, so everything looks to him like a nail, and he hits it.
It's expensive and there is no good evidence that it is effective, and it can give rise to other problems. And in the very real and challenging situation you describe, I can see no way a hypnotist could help you.
But seeing an experienced counsellor could be far more effective and productive. You are also right in recognizing the vicious circle whereby not working does damage one's self esteem. This is why it is often useful to get almost ANY job, especially to keep in the habits of work, until one can find a better job.

4
Posted by: Anonymous | 2017/01/23

also approach some charity organizations. its a good way to keep occupied and also build a network of people that could know of job opportunities.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2017/01/23

Doing some charity work may also be of benefit

Posted by: Anonymous | 2017/01/19

I would suggest signing on with an agency for temporary jobs in the meantime. Many of these jobs turn into permanent jobs and at least you're working and earning money (albeit not as much as you would hope to) while you look. It also keeps your mind occupied.

Posted by: Gina | 2017/01/19

What are your qualifications/talents? Perhaps you can improve on that. Or volunteer at an organisation for less privileged while you search for a job/go to a school and offer your services. This can help massively when you apply for jobs as potential employers will see that you have kept busy. Look on PINTEREST and learn a new skill. Make jewelry, bake cookies and bread or make salad and sandwiches and sell that at local schools or businesses. Place an ad to restore furniture. Paint houses. Collect cans and glass jars and grow cacti to sell at markets - check on pinterest. Your local library has free internet. I did all these things when I was unemployed and studying. I wish you all the best.

Reply to Gina