Question
Posted by: | 2014/08/08

How do i change my sons surname born out of wedlock?

by the time my son was born me and his father was not married so my son got his father surname, we are not together anymore my son is 3 years old . i want to change is surname to mine . went to home affairs father need to be there to change his surname, ask the father but he never pitched . just want to kow what to do now?

1
Posted by: Assertive | 2014/09/29

The father needs to give consent for this to happen. If the father does not agree DHA will not be able to and will refer you to sought relief at the magistrates court. Remember that both you and him agreed when the child is born that he would inherit the fathers surname. The fact that you are no longer in a relationship with the father has nothing to do with the child. So, its an issue between you and the father. - Meaning that the court will not rule in favour of the surname being changed, unless there is really good reason that affect the child directly.

Reply to Assertive