Question
Posted by: | 2014/03/25

Heavy, Clotty periods (Graphic)

I am 37, had a ovariectomy (sp) done 5 years ago on my right ovary due to a teratoom. Recently my periods have started changing dramatically. I am on a 21 - 24 day cycle and not on any birth control. I have one child, miscarried (non identical) triplets and do not want any more children, so my husband went for a vasectomy to eliminate me pumping hormones into my body. Lately however, my periods have become quite heavy and clotty. I will get these sharp pains and will feel something slide out of me, it has the look of a piece of liver, and if I am wearing a tampon at that moment, in most cases it will slide past the tampon. Once that occurs, a heavy flow tampon will not be effective for more than about 10 minutes, and such an 'episode' will then last for a couple of hours where I have to wear tampons and pads (as a backup). Is this something I should be worried about, or is this just part of getting older and moving towards the menopause stage of life?

- 2014/03/27

You could have  a problem with your uterus, such as fibroids, which is a common cause of heavy periods. I would suggest that you have a  gynae check.